Can I manually install all Kali tools one by one on Ubuntu without Katoolin, as and when required?

Reaction score
Credits
While I was trying to learn penetration testing / ethical hacking online, some tutorials recommended using Kali Linux in VM on Windows since they taught the courses in Kali. But since I had a (relatively old, low end) laptop to spare, I took the plunge and installed Kali on the machine.

(Mind that I had previous experience on Dual Booting

a> Windows and Kali

b> Windows and Ubuntu on my old laptop,

which, to say the least, didn't go very well. I did try VM, but since I use WSL on my Windows machine, it uickly go messed up. I had to enable and disable the HyperV again and again, which was just not going well.)

Now, while I am having some issues and I google it, most of the answers on the Kali forums are just like Kali is not for noobs, go somewhere else, why you're using Kali, stop ttrying to act like a hacker, dumb stupid idiot! Kali's for experts, screw these noobs and so on... Those forums aren't just friendly. Man if you don't have the time to help someone, don't berate them. I have a machine which I decided to screw up, and I am alright with screwing up the OS and having to install it all over again. OTOH, I found Ubuntu and other Linux communities to be a lot friendlier and helpful. So I am thinking of switching over to Ubuntu (or maybe Fedora/Mint/CentOS). Thanks Kali!

But I wanted to know if I could install all Kali tools on Ubuntu (or any other distro) without using Katoolin. I have read many posts claiming that Katoolin caused Ubuntu to go haywire and you have to remove the Kali repos before updating, and doing that everytime I update is just plain tiring. I mean, I would have to uninstall, reinstall and configure all of those tools over and over again, and even if I update once/twice a month, that is going to be a lots of work. So I was wondering if I could install all the tools manually separately, since this would only be a one time work.

Most if not all tools that kali uses are available in other distro ;so for instance metasploit is available for slackware : https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/metasploit/?search=metasploit

also say John The Ripper is available via slackware with John : https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/john/

some are outdated anyway chnptw is in kali live but using it for SAM on latest Windows10 is not how some tutorials make out

for some penetration against dev on local for say CSRF i'm using /launching zap from oswad
Welcome to the OWASP Zed Attack Proxy
=====================================
The OWASP Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP) is one of the world’s most popular free
security tools and is actively maintained by hundreds of international
volunteers.
It can help you automatically find security vulnerabilities in your web
applications while you are developing and testing your applications.
Its also a great tool for experienced pentesters to use for manual security
testing.

For more details on ZAP please goto the home page:
https://www.zaproxy.org/

While I was trying to learn penetration testing / ethical hacking online, some tutorials recommended using Kali Linux in VM on Windows since they taught the courses in Kali. But since I had a (relatively old, low end) laptop to spare, I took the plunge and installed Kali on the machine.

(Mind that I had previous experience on Dual Booting

a> Windows and Kali

b> Windows and Ubuntu on my old laptop,

which, to say the least, didn't go very well. I did try VM, but since I use WSL on my Windows machine, it uickly go messed up. I had to enable and disable the HyperV again and again, which was just not going well.)

Now, while I am having some issues and I google it, most of the answers on the Kali forums are just like Kali is not for noobs, go somewhere else, why you're using Kali, stop ttrying to act like a hacker, dumb stupid idiot! Kali's for experts, screw these noobs and so on... Those forums aren't just friendly. Man if you don't have the time to help someone, don't berate them. I have a machine which I decided to screw up, and I am alright with screwing up the OS and having to install it all over again. OTOH, I found Ubuntu and other Linux communities to be a lot friendlier and helpful. So I am thinking of switching over to Ubuntu (or maybe Fedora/Mint/CentOS). Thanks Kali!

But I wanted to know if I could install all Kali tools on Ubuntu (or any other distro) without using Katoolin. I have read many posts claiming that Katoolin caused Ubuntu to go haywire and you have to remove the Kali repos before updating, and doing that everytime I update is just plain tiring. I mean, I would have to uninstall, reinstall and configure all of those tools over and over again, and even if I update once/twice a month, that is going to be a lots of work. So I was wondering if I could install all the tools manually separately, since this would only be a one time work.
From what I've learned you have to change the sources list before you perform an update on Ubuntu; after you use Katoolin to install the tools.

The script adds the Kali Linux repos during the install of the tools.

If you want the tools one-by-one without Kali Linux just check in the Ubuntu repository first. Many of them are already in the Ubuntu Repository.

I used to have a bookmark to an older Debian blog in Spanish. I could load many of the tools in Debian. They were already in the Repository.

If your computer is that old and underpowered you might have been better with a different install from the Ubuntu family e.g. Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

You might be able to install all the tools w/o using katoolin. However you'll need the pkg's to do it.

All of Kali Linux tools are here:

Maybe see if those tools are in the Ubuntu Package Search for the release your running. You can always use Google and search for something like alternative tools to katoolin for Ubuntu.

Github has aircrack-ng available for download which is a tool used in Kali Linux for WiFi Network Security.

So; thinking out loud, if github has the tools you want you can download and install till your hearts content.

If you want the tools one-by-one without Kali Linux just check in the Ubuntu repository first. Many of them are already in the Ubuntu Repository.

I used to have a bookmark to an older Debian blog in Spanish. I could load many of the tools in Debian. They were already in the Repository.

If your computer is that old and underpowered you might have been better with a different install from the Ubuntu family e.g. Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Thank you for your reply, actually the system is not very underpowered, it has 4 Gigs of RAM, and an old (not very old) Intel Celeron (I didn't buy this one, just won it in a competition). It ran Windows 10 and Ubuntu flawlessly. I don't think I need to go for Kubuntu or Lubuntu, but thanks for your suggestion.

Members online