Can I dual boot on my laptop?

SavageElderWolf

Reaction score
Credits
Heyo, thanks for the assistance ahead of time as I am not very computer savvy.

I'm new to linux and all this. I recently received an HP Pavilion 15 laptop and am interested if I can dual boot windows 10 home & linux (still debating which version to use)
Spec for the Laptop are Intel Core i5 1035G1 CPU @ 1GHz 1.19GHz, 8GB RAM, 64bit OS, x64-based processor, with 476GB of storage (currently so I'm thinking I started with 512GB).
Any recommendations and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

you have plenty of room with circa 500 gig ; they are selling laptops with only 30 gig with Windows 10. Of course its a bit of a snake seller since they soon fill up with updates but if you left circa 60 gig for Windows hen you still have 400 + for Linux. To give you a ball park figure I have Slackware Linux I did some spring cleaning my Hd is only 60 gig but slackware is only taking up around 24.5 gig

so thats a start ..next make sure you have some virgin 14-16 gig usb sticks ffor the next steps

How much should I leave for windows assuming they'll keep updating it lol. I guess I need to look into different distro's for linux, yay research. I'll grab a USB stick, brand-new or can I use one that has a LOT of space left to use (or should I transfer and reformat the stick I have?)

well if you left say 55-60 for Windows that should be plenty still leaving you 400 or so ; also does your laptop have an sd card slot ; in mine I have 14gig and use that as a buffer area for maybe i need it .

Virgin usb sticks are best no doubt of whats left on them .

I do have an SD card slot. Would I put Linux on the SD and access it that way (as opposed to the USB drive)? Also could I leave it plugged in even if I wasn't accessing it (to run windows for example)
Like I said earlier, I'm new to all of this, so please forgive me if these questions are a bit n00b-ish.

Members online