Can anybody suggest to me a distro for 2022

Adithyansm

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,

I am planning to change my distro in 2022 now I am in Linux mint and want to change to another Debian based distro
Currently, two distros are in my mind Zorin os and Pop OS! .Which should I choose or You can suggest to me a distro better than these two (only Debian-based not Arch-based )?

It Would be a great help, guys.

I'm a pretty big fan of Lubuntu. It's an Ubuntu official flavor and so all the Ubuntu resources work with it. In 04/22 we'll be releasing a new version and it will be a long-term-stable version.

As to the larger question about 'best distro', you did narrow it down and that helps. I do have this link that may interest you:

If you have a favorite desktop environment, Ubuntu probably has it.

I'm a pretty big fan of Lubuntu. It's an Ubuntu official flavor and so all the Ubuntu resources work with it. In 04/22 we'll be releasing a new version and it will be a long-term-stable version.

As to the larger question about 'best distro', you did narrow it down and that helps. I do have this link that may interest you:

If you have a favorite desktop environment, Ubuntu probably has it.
Let's hear what others want to say and then will take a final Decision

Mx Linux is based on Debian Stable, but with a lot of tweaks, some people don't like the default desktop but that can be easily changed

Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hello everyone,

I am planning to change my distro in 2022 now I am in Linux mint and want to change to another Debian based distro
Currently, two distros are in my mind Zorin os and Pop OS! .Which should I choose or You can suggest to me a distro better than these two (only Debian-based not Arch-based )?

It Would be a great help,
I haven't used pop os yet, but choosing zoris os after using LM is like taking a step backwards. As others mentioned MX Linux, Debian, Lubuntu are good options

If I were not going to use Mint, Then I would use MX-21 KDE edition. Next choice would be Debian.

OP why do you wanna change from using Linux Mint?

OP why do you wanna change from using Linux Mint?
Just to try and enjoy another distro because I am using linux mint for while now . And I want a solid and stable distro for the whole next year .;)

@Adithyansm if the reason that you are seeking a new Distro for 2022 is why you have the Poll at https://www.linux.org/threads/the-most-used-distro.37833/

... then I would suggest you save your time and our Members' time and read the following from a wise old man from Maine USA

https://linux-tips.us/finally-an-answer-to-what-is-the-best-linux-distro/

Featured in it, amongst other good ideas is a bit which contains 3 links useful to you and to others

The best distro the one that’s suited to your personal workflow. It’s the one that makes you the most happy, and the one that best lets you use the applications you need to use. Basically, it’s the one that works for you.

You can look up Linux distro benchmarks.
And can check their popularity.
Or you can test them out virtually online.

You can download the images and use VirtualBox to test them for longer periods.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@Adithyansm if the reason that you are seeking a new Distro for 2022 is why you have the Poll at https://www.linux.org/threads/the-most-used-distro.37833/

... then I would suggest you save your time and our Members' time and read the following from a wise old man from Maine USA

https://linux-tips.us/finally-an-answer-to-what-is-the-best-linux-distro/

Featured in it, amongst other good ideas is a bit which contains 3 links useful to you and to others

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thank you for your fast reply the poll was to check which distro the users use the most . In This thread I am seeking for help

Okay after some research and suggestion I am finally in a conclusion to use MX linux or Lubuntu . Thank you guys for valuable replys .

I'd agree with what KGIII said in his blog

> So, what is the best Linux distro?
>
> There isn’t one.

We can all conclude what's best for us in a particular circumstance, but that won't fit all use-cases anyway.

For me my default platforms are Debian & Ubuntu (where I see Lubuntu as just a Ubuntu system anyway; just a different DE)

There are times when I opt for Debian (probably my default goto distro), but there are other times where I'll use Ubuntu (likely my close second).

As for what's best for you - only you can decide.

What made you use Linux Mint anyway will provide some clues? Linux Mint is the Ubuntu system with an extra layer of software added (runtime adjustments) as the devs don't have write access to Ubuntu repositories and the adjustments [hack] is less costly than creating their own packages for everything. Yes Linux Mint is visually appealing, but it's at a cost of Security - ie. you chose Visuals over Security with that decision; so it's those decisions that matter - of which we have no idea what's right for you.

If you're going with Debian or Ubuntu based (you specifically mentioned two Ubuntu based), compare what they do to the Debian or Ubuntu system (what they improve) and what they lose (such as security with your Linux Mint choice). Neither of Zorin/Pop have Security teams; Zorin use the Ubuntu kernels (ie. vetted by Ubuntu Security Team), but Pop OS doesn't benefit from that fully etc...

I'd struggle to think of reasons I'd replace Ubuntu with a Ubuntu based system (though there are likely use-cases where I'd opt for something; as if the box is off-line - security doesn't matter!), but Ubuntu sure isn't my only OS (but most others I'd consider don't meet your Debian/Ubuntu requirement)

FYI: The security hit Linux Mint & others suffers is still somewhat under your control (by settings etc - check them post-install!); though the effect of the runtime adjustments cannot be mitigated; it's not a huge worry in my opinion - but still a consideration being my point (ie. every benefit has costs; weigh those up to work out what's right for you).

Last edited:
Just to try and enjoy another distro because I am using linux mint for while now . And I want a solid and stable distro for the whole next year .;)

I suppose it is maybe stretching the meaning of "enjoy" but if you are trying out a new distro just for the kicks then you might wanna think about trying out something less beginner friendly than what you used previously. Or trying something that isn't Debian based.

Much like your original question it really depends on you, but I personally wouldn't have found much value trying out Mint or something similar after using Lubuntu for 6 months.

I have choose to use the MX linux (XFCE) for 2022 .But i want to know that is there a Debian based distro with rolling-releases (for daily use not kali) .Thank you all for your suggestions.:)

I have choose to use the MX linux (XFCE) for 2022 .But i want to know that is there a Debian based distro with rolling-releases (for daily use not kali) .Thank you all for your suggestions.:)
The closest thing to a rolling release in a Debian distro would most likely be Debian sid. Most Debian based Distros following the testing branch. And that is about as up to date as you will get with a Debian release. Debian has always been about stability over newest package. MX does a good job of updating and keeping things fresh though. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Manjaro is great.