Cache Memory Issue

MarkBrun

Reaction score
Credits
Hello linuxers,

I'm running a CentOS server (specs below) with 32 GB memory. My problem is 18.49 GB of the 32GB is used by cache. That seems to be a lot. Is that a good thing or cache is using too much? I'm running a cryptocurrency website. I cache a lot of stuff because I'm using API to pull cryptocurrency prices like the ones on this page: https://www.cryptozink.io/live-cryptocurrency-coins-prices/.

Is cache keeping the site from running out of memory or it's using too much and I should I reduce the number of pages cache? If I don't cache so much, will my the site slows down?

Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v3 @ 3.20GHz (4 core(s))

PLSK.05980134.0003

System Uptime: 3 day(s) 09:58

Total memory: 31.17 GB

Used: 20.04 GB

Cache: 18.49 GB

I can't speak to the specifics of running a CentOS server but regarding RAM memory usage;
If there is a surplus of RAM in a machine just sitting there idle and doing nothing it only makes sense to fill it up and use it for 'anticipated' processing. The trick is to release the RAM needed for a current operation when called for. If there is RAM sitting there not doing anything it is more efficient to move recently performed operations from disk cache to the faster RAM memory where it can be accessed more quickly and so speed up operations. Make sense?

Yes it does, thanks. So when the system needs more memory, it will be released from cache?

Yes it does, thanks. So when the system needs more memory, it will be released from cache?
It is my understanding that if the operating system and programs are properly written then yes, the memory will be freed as needed.

Members online

Latest posts