Building A Website

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I'd like to build my own website however; I'm not a web master and I don't want to pay Word Press or Go Daddy to maintain a site that I have to pay for to host it.

Is it possible to learn how to build a site and learn how to host it myself?

Any ideas where I'd start or the name of a 'certain software' I'd use to build it that plays well with Linux?

Thanks,
Alex

Is it possible to learn how to build a site and learn how to host it myself?
I don't quite get this statement. Do you want to build your own server? I also built tons of websites with my domain names in the past but I used shared hosting.

Last edited:
Is your goal to learn how to host a site yourself, or is it just to have a site?

Is your goal to learn how to host a site yourself, or is it just to have a site?
My goal is to learn how to build and host my own website so I can sell my art work.

I've been painting and drawling for 21 years.

My goal is to learn how to build and host my own website so I can sell my artwork.
So your goal is just to have a website and not to build your own server. Let me explain based on what I know.

Any ideas where I'd start or the name of a 'certain software' I'd use to build it that plays well with Linux?
I saw that you already linked to a WordPress blog in your forum profile. So go for WordPress. In my opinion, if you want to learn HTML or PHP from scratch, it will be a long way to go. You want to sell your artwork and not a web design service, so why should you learn the coding from scratch?

You can build beautiful e-commerce websites with Wordpress today. For example this one: www.humoresquecartoons.com
And see this list: www.torquemag.io/2017/02/wordpress-ecommerce-examples/

I'd like to build my own website however; I'm not a web master and I don't want to pay Word Press
You don't have to pay for WordPress. There are two version WordPress websites - Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org. Wordpress.com has paid version, but you don't necessarily need to pay for their hosting.

On the other hand, Wordpress.org is free. Once you've subscribed to any web hosting, you can download the WordPress script from Wordpress.org and install it from scratch. Or, you can try any cheap web hosting companies and most of them already come with a free WordPress script that you can install in one click.

If you want cheap web hosting, then go for any $1 per month hosting.
The one I'd tried before is MyTrueHost. www.mytruehost.com/linux_cpanel_web_hosting_plans.php
It comes with a WordPress script that you can install from the control panel (Cpanel) with one click.

or Go Daddy to maintain a site that I have to pay for to host it.
You don't have to pay for Godaddy. You can register a free .ga domain name or any domain name at Freenom to get a free domain name.

You can also get free web hosting. The one that I used a decade ago was 000webhost.com. Or you can use blogspot.com and create your own blog there.
A little warning: Free web hosting has lots of limitations. For example, the company might terminate your account without notice. Some of them will insert ads into your website to cover their operation cost.

If you want a cheap domain name, go for Namecheap. It comes with free WHOIS privacy guard for the first year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here's the recap:
If you want it cheap, and it's the best option:
1. Register your domain name at Namecheap.com. That's about $11/year.
2. Get a budget web hosting. mytruehost.com. $12/year.
3. Install and use WordPress with the hosting. Free.
The overall cost is $23/year.

If you want it free and not the best option:
1. Go for blogspot.com and create a free blog there.
2. Or you can use Facebook.com and create free Facebook page.
3. Or you can use 000webhost.com.
4. Or you can also build your own server, but this also costs additional money.

The choice is yours. Good luck.

Last edited:
My goal is to learn how to build and host my own website so I can sell my art work.

I've been painting and drawling for 21 years.
I'd find a hosting party where they provide the hosting for you so that you can focus on the website and its content which is actually the reason why you want to setup a website.

For those that are curious, I've already offered to give 'em a hosting account.

For those that are curious, I've already offered to give 'em a hosting account.
I don't recommend anyone who wants to offer content on a website to host it themselves because they will be already spending alot of time keeping the website updated and creating content etc. Hosting it yourself when you don't know what you are doing will only move the focus off your main goal because of having to spend quite a bit of time to figure out how to best do the setup, how it works and keeping the hosting setup updated and up with modern times etc.

I don't recommend anyone who wants to offer content on a website to host it themselves because they will be already spending alot of time keeping the website updated and creating content etc.

Absolutely.

It's a ton of work to maintain a server and a site. In my case, I don't actually help people out with their site stuff. I only deal with the hosting. Though I do tend to answer other basic questions if asked.

But, yeah... You're definitely looking at a ton of work if you do both. It can be done, but it's going to eat up some serious hours. I'd absolutely not recommend someone new to both try to tackle it.

I don't mind tossing regular users a free account. It comes with cPanel and Softaculous. There are hundreds of thousands of tutorials out there. WordPress can be installed with a couple of clicks and with filling in a form. It's just so much easier these days.

So your goal is just to have a website and not to build your own server. Let me explain based on what I know.

I saw that you already linked to a WordPress blog in your forum profile. So go for WordPress. In my opinion, if you want to learn HTML or PHP from scratch, it will be a long way to go. You want to sell your artwork and not a web design service, so why should you learn the coding from scratch?

You can build beautiful e-commerce websites with Wordpress today. For example this one: www.humoresquecartoons.com
And see this list: www.torquemag.io/2017/02/wordpress-ecommerce-examples/

You don't have to pay for WordPress. There are two version WordPress websites - Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org. Wordpress.com has paid version, but you don't necessarily need to pay for their hosting.

On the other hand, Wordpress.org is free. Once you've subscribed to any web hosting, you can download the WordPress script from Wordpress.org and install it from scratch. Or, you can try any cheap web hosting companies and most of them already come with a free WordPress script that you can install in one click.

If you want cheap web hosting, then go for any $1 per month hosting.
The one I'd tried before is MyTrueHost. www.mytruehost.com/linux_cpanel_web_hosting_plans.php
It comes with a WordPress script that you can install from the control panel (Cpanel) with one click.

You don't have to pay for Godaddy. You can register a free .ga domain name or any domain name at Freenom to get a free domain name.

You can also get free web hosting. The one that I used a decade ago was 000webhost.com. Or you can use blogspot.com and create your own blog there.
A little warning: Free web hosting has lots of limitations. For example, the company might terminate your account without notice. Some of them will insert ads into your website to cover their operation cost.

If you want a cheap domain name, go for Namecheap. It comes with free WHOIS privacy guard for the first year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So here's the recap:
If you want it cheap, and it's the best option:
1. Register your domain name at Namecheap.com. That's about $11/year.
2. Get a budget web hosting. mytruehost.com. $12/year.
3. Install and use WordPress with the hosting. Free.
The overall cost is $23/year.

If you want it free and not the best option:
1. Go for blogspot.com and create a free blog there.
2. Or you can use Facebook.com and create free Facebook page.
3. Or you can use 000webhost.com.
4. Or you can also build your own server, but this also costs additional money.

The choice is yours. Good luck.
The free website that I already have at Word Press is free but in order to have a shopping cart there it is not free and if I'm wrong (which I don't think I am) I don't see a way in my settings to set up a shopping cart for my work.

I'll check out Namecheap.com and web hosting at mytruehost.come--Thanks!

I'd find a hosting party where they provide the hosting for you so that you can focus on the website and its content which is actually the reason why you want to setup a website.
Roger that.
Just have to find the right one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Absolutely.

It's a ton of work to maintain a server and a site. In my case, I don't actually help people out with their site stuff. I only deal with the hosting. Though I do tend to answer other basic questions if asked.

But, yeah... You're definitely looking at a ton of work if you do both. It can be done, but it's going to eat up some serious hours. I'd absolutely not recommend someone new to both try to tackle it.

I don't mind tossing regular users a free account. It comes with cPanel and Softaculous. There are hundreds of thousands of tutorials out there. WordPress can be installed with a couple of clicks and with filling in a form. It's just so much easier these days.
Yeah, I don't want a ton of work.
I already spend hours upon hours working on my paintings and sketches.

I'm off to Word Press to look at the settings and see if there is something I missed:-

MatsuShimizu,

Is a domain name necessary?

I'm asking because Word Press already shows my art work in the blogs I create.

I'll have a look at e-commerce with Word Press and get back to you.

@Alexzee Why are still looking if @KGIII already made you an offer?

They may be new to how it all works and misunderstanding some communication.

@Alexzee, I'll give you hosting. 1 GB of space and 10 GB of bandwidth - no cost. You will need a domain name. Once you have a domain name, we can proceed.

I'll set you up with an account, you'll go to the registrar (where you got your domain name) and change the nameservers. Those take a bit to propagate. As soon as they do, you can click a few buttons to install a nice new WordPress and go to town customizing it and making it your own.

I'm not a free hosting provider. So, that means you get all the bells and whistles you'd normally get with a regular hosting company. It's just like you're paying for hosting, except you're not.

Click the site in my signature and look around. Click on the link at the bottom to see the status and uptime. I have 100% uptime for *months*. That's better than you're gonna get with most paid hosting.

You will need a domain name.

You can buy one cheap. You can get a free one from freenom.com but I highly, highly recommend against that for a site you're going to keep. You can also pay at freenom, which is what I do for the .gq domains. But, your best choice for registrar is someone like namecheap.com.

They may be new to how it all works and misunderstanding some communication.

@Alexzee, I'll give you hosting. 1 GB of space and 10 GB of bandwidth - no cost. You will need a domain name. Once you have a domain name, we can proceed.

I'll set you up with an account, you'll go to the registrar (where you got your domain name) and change the nameservers. Those take a bit to propagate. As soon as they do, you can click a few buttons to install a nice new WordPress and go to town customizing it and making it your own.

I'm not a free hosting provider. So, that means you get all the bells and whistles you'd normally get with a regular hosting company. It's just like you're paying for hosting, except you're not.

Click the site in my signature and look around. Click on the link at the bottom to see the status and uptime. I have 100% uptime for *months*. That's better than you're gonna get with most paid hosting.

You will need a domain name.

You can buy one cheap. You can get a free one from freenom.com but I highly, highly recommend against that for a site you're going to keep. You can also pay at freenom, which is what I do for the .gq domains. But, your best choice for registrar is someone like namecheap.com.
This is new to me so sorry for any misunderstanding.
When I log in here sometimes the notifications take a few minutes.

I don't know how to change the name servers so if you could assist with that or explain what I'd need to do I'd be happy to comply.

I'm perplexed between freenom and namecheap.
Will I be able to get a domain name at either freenom or namecheap?
I plan on keeping a site for a long time.

This is new to me so sorry for any misunderstanding.

It's all good. I'll help you get things sorted out. I don't normally do anything more than provide hosting, but I'll help you get things started as much as I'm able. It's speedier and easier than you may think.

You can get a domain at namecheap or freenom. Freenom is free - but they may take the domain name back at any point, which would screw you over. So, I don't recommend them for a commercial site.

You *can* pay at freenom (which is what I do). I simply do that 'cause I want shorter domain names that are easier for me to remember or type out. I also use namecheap quite a bit. (I have quite a few websites.)

It's all good. I'll help you get things sorted out. I don't normally do anything more than provide hosting, but I'll help you get things started as much as I'm able. It's speedier and easier than you may think.

You can get a domain at namecheap or freenom. Freenom is free - but they may take the domain name back at any point, which would screw you over. So, I don't recommend them for a commercial site.

You *can* pay at freenom (which is what I do). I simply do that 'cause I want shorter domain names that are easier for me to remember or type out. I also use namecheap quite a bit. (I have quite a few websites.)

Thank you, I'm a total noob at this:-

I'm still in the process of reading everything on your site.
Your site looks very nice and everything I read made perfect sense.
The things you covered and what you expect is a-ok-by-me. Thanks again!

I'll head over to namecheap in a few hours.
Gotta get a few things done right now, I'll be back shortly:-

Members online