Build your own distro.

H

husnalb

I LOVE linux and I would love to create a distro of my own but i have no idea how to do that! can someone help me.

Urgent!

You might want to start with a less ambitions goal. I've never gotten around to Gentoo Linux, but it's oriented toward people who want to configure and compile everything. So if you start by compiling Linux, you'll be taking steps toward your goal.

Also, check out LinuxFromScratch, which I haven't done either. But the website says, "Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code."

I would love to create a distro of my own

Why?

There are hundreds of distros, why can't you find one that meets your needs?

Do you want to build a distro from the-bottom-up or do you want to customise and existing distro e.g. http://susestudio.com/

I agree with @arochester. What are you wanting? Maybe we can find an existing distro that does what you are wanting to make.

You might want to read Linux From Scratch first before you think any further. Just point your browser to the official website and you can find a few free great online books that can help you with your question.

I agree with @arochester. What are you wanting? Maybe we can find an existing distro that does what you are wanting to make.

I second that as I think you need to get your feet wet and serve your time using other distros before you can embark on make your own distro line.

There is another installable distro that allows you to customise it and build it as you go here...

http://build.porteus.org/

its based on slackware so your using an established distro but building it too.

Do you want to 'build' a Distro for yourself or actually distribute over the internet a Linux OS you have built? If your only aim is customization, you could trim down any existent distribution to your needs.

A cleaner approach: installing Ubuntu Minimal, Debian, Arch... They're pretty bare and will let you pick your window manager & desktop environment during installation, which you can tweak later.

Yes there are hundreds of distro's. I'm sure he knows that. But that isn't answering his question. He may be doing this for the same reason I did. To understand linux more thoroughly.

As was said, Linuxfromscratch is a good place to start.

In the end, the best solution after you've gone through the above tutorial, is to fork from a current distribution. This ensures that you have access to already preconfigured up to date software.

Debian is a good distro to fork from. Ubuntu forked from it, and Mint forked from Ubuntu. Both are the two biggest Desktop distros out there.

Yes there are hundreds of distro's. I'm sure he knows that. But that isn't answering his question. He may be doing this for the same reason I did. To understand linux more thoroughly.

As was said, Linuxfromscratch is a good place to start.

In the end, the best solution after you've gone through the above tutorial, is to fork from a current distribution. This ensures that you have access to already preconfigured up to date software.

Debian is a good distro to fork from. Ubuntu forked from it, and Mint forked from Ubuntu. Both are the two biggest Desktop distros out there.

Yes I did so with my AnitaOS from puppy 4 with the benefit of more modern libraries. You can make your own decisions about your distro.

Hi all,

Actually I am looking for same thing but I did not get any easy article and book like how to build your own distro.

Reason
I am going to build my startup by using Rasberry Pi single board computer. As I have seen rasbian is recommended but I don't like its UI and also I want to ship OS with pre-configured software packages in short I like to build something KanoOS

Target audience
My target audience is usually 10-16 yrs children which can used this OS for education purpose, learn code, explore multimedia and a lot stuff they can

I am trying to figure out linux from scratch but I dont understand their documentation as it is not straight forward guideline.

Also Rasberry Pi or any single board computer mostly used ARMV achitecture so probabaly I want something to get already pre-build all the drivers which support that architecture and I will just change Desktop UI and software packages.

Thanks

@M.Shakeeb Khan , Raspbian can be obtained as a disk image meaning that the Raspbian developers made Raspbian and then used the "dd" command to make the downloadable image. To prove this to yourself, you can install Raspbian and then notice that there are entries in the logs (/var/log/) that date around the time that version of Raspbian was made.

To make your own RPi distro, you can apply the same concepts. Install Raspbian and make your changes (i.e. add repos, add/remove packages, change settings, etc.). Afterward, delete logs, temporary files, personal files, etc., then insert the SD-card into a computer and use the "dd" command to create the *.img file that you will distribute as your distro.

Thanks a lot and I hope it will be legal? Right? I can re-distribute Rasbian?

Members online