build a keyboard map?

hajones

Reaction score
Credits
Hi.
I have been struggling to get a hold of a comprehensive guide how to build a keyboard layout for a couple of days now. I can not find any on the internet.

About xmodmap:
I do not want to use xmodmap. since trying to do so resulted in that my caps lock key were still preforming caps lock function after reassignment. do not know why. but it did not work. Also putting a standard file in /usr/share/X11/symbols seems better.

So does anyone know a comprehensive guide where I can get to know how to reassign function keys as well? Or a book for that matter. When looking in /usr/share/X11/symbols and search for i.e. us I find a lot of files. so US keyboard layouts seems to use a lot of files. I would like to understand how it works also there seems to be references to other files in the files if I'm not mistaken how does that work?

Two systems:
Also the keyboard file for console and X is different so is there an easy way to write one file and convert it to the format of the other?

Is there a program that shows which key I'm pressing i.e. like xev but for the syntax that is used in the keymap files in /usr/share/X11/symbols. i.e. <AC01> = a?

why I'm doing all this is because I want to use ARENSITO for my kinesis keyboard and have an arensito-kinesis.xkb file but do not know how to convert it into the syntax that is used by X or consol for that matter.

So If you have a suggestion about how to solve the problem by using the xkb file I would be all ears as well. >)

Thanks for your help!

linux distro: KDE-neon (latest) basically kubuntu

Last edited: