Bt5r3 boot error

T

Tjmole

I'm a fairly new linux user and am usually an advocate for solving ones owns problems although for this one I truly baffled. I'm sure the solution is fairly obvious and I'm just being too oblivious to it so I appreciate you putting up with me.

I recently purchased an Acer aspire m5 laptop and have been trying to successfully boot from a live usb drive with a copy of btr5 r3 kde 32 bit. I've also tried it with the 64 bit but got the same error. I'm able to load the linux boot menu but none of the Casper files can successfully load. As of now I've tried running it in legacy and uefi; same results. I've tried both ahci and raid; neither work and the men test included in bt won't even run it. Any thoughts anyone?

Acer aspire m5
Intel core i7 4500u
1.8 ghz
8g ram
1tb

I also used lili live usb creator to burn an iso to a sandisk cruzer. Moreover I used window diskpart to remove any resonance of past bits.

Diskpart
Select disk 1
Clean
Create partition primary
Select partition 1
Format fs=fat32 quick
Assign
Exit

Then I ran lili usb creator although I guess I could try this from a linux based system instead I windows 8. I should also mention I have an old asus net book with an intel atom processor(32 bit) and it succefully ran both versions. Although I still don't know how it took the 64 bit I'm assuming it was just the intuition of the creators.

image.jpg

Last edited:

...Please don't cross post/ make multiple posts about essentially the same problem. It causes problems. If you have made one post about a problem, please stick to it...

I thought this thread was more properly posted under this category. I meant remove the other one but I guess it didn't compete the action.

Has the hard drive been wiped or does it still contain Win 8?

If the drive still contains 8, remove the drive and reboot the laptop several times. You'll get the customary error message -- ignore it.

Leave the drive out and try booting from the live disc.

Okay. I was able to fully boot with kali linux so thanks for that suggestion. Although now I can't get it to recognize my wifi card. For instance when I'm using airmon-ng it doesn't list any interfaces. I remember on bt5 it showed up as wlanO
but now I don't get any results, is there something new I have to enable or do you believe I could have some incompatible hardware?

I also, just for of the fun of it, tried to run the same version on my asus 32 bit and it worked equally as well. I don't know if I was mislead but I thought 32 bit version could run on both types but just not use the full capability of 64 bit machine and a 64 bit version could only run on a 64 bit machine. While in my case I was able to run 64 bit on both and the 32 bit version soley on my 32 bit laptop. Is there something I'm missing l?

Open a Terminal and input the command: lspci | grep -i wireless

What is the output. Can you connect, temporarily, with a cable? Can you copy and paste the output here?

You are correct a 32 bit distro should work on either a 32 bit or 64 bit computer. A 64 bit distro should only work on a 64 bit computer.

You have no wireless internet? Or is it only that you can't get this particular tool to recognize the wifi card. Does it say anything under the Network Manager? Or is there no wireless shown when you type ifconfig?

Grep -i wireless just left the terminal with a black screen and lspci gave me these results:

image.jpg

I also set up the persistence functionality throubgh windows 8 but it still won't retain any of my changes. I have a 3ooo mb primary partition formatted fat32 and a second primary partition labeled persistence formatted ext4. As you probably can tell I am not use to this new format of backtrack and I personally liked bt5r3 much better.

Backtrack was based on Ubuntu. Kali Linux is based on Debian.

You need to have the non-free element of the Repository installed.

If you are connected by cable to the Internet, become Root with the Command: su
Then issue the command: apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi
Reboot.
Job Done.

Strange.... I have yet to have trouble with Kali for wireless. Even though they build on Debian, I'm not sure they're as restrictive with non-free stuff.

i tried that command in a root terminal while i was connect through my eth0 and it responded by saying all my packages were up to date. I also ran dmesg|tail and got this error:
Screenshot from 2013-12-23 22:03:32.png
Otherwise all of your suggestions have worked and I'm happy to say I have a fully persistent 16 gib flashdrive running kali linux gnome. I think after this wireless problem I should be good for a while.

Members online

Latest posts