Browser reviews

No mention of LibreWolf, Min, Tor Browser, and others.
Basically just another all browsers are bad except for Brave.

I don't know if one browser is really any better than another browser.

Seems all browsers are collecting user information for one reason or another mainly to sell for advertising purposes I could be wrong.

I use DuckDuckGo and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials or Privacy Badger along with Ublock Origin and that seems to work for me.

I know some people who have a bazillion add-ons or extensions installed or enabled and then wonder why their browser is slow at returning results.

I've always read that more browser extensions or add-ons can slow a browser down quite a bit so I just use sparingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people who have a bazillion add-ons or extensions installed or enabled and then wonder why their browser is slow at returning results.
Browser extensions can also be used for fingerprinting, it's best to leave your browser default as much as you can so that it looks the same as other browsers even though browser extensions are only a small part of fingerprinting.

From a security perspective, using multiple browsers is the way to go. But from a performance perspective, I feel that if you use firefox, chrome, brave, vivaldi, etc all feel similar... Maybe in certain situations, one browser is better than the other, but all browsers are ok, nothing too special about one over the other I feel.

If you stick to the main ones, like chrome, firefox, brave, vivaldi, chromium, etc you cant go wrong, it boils down to preference it seems.

I am moving this Thread to General Computing because although these and many more browsers are available to and used by Linux users, most of them are cross-platform, and they are developed, released, and maintained by non-Linux organisations and firms.

Thanks for sharing @kc1di , and I'll see everybody there.

Wiz

https://sunknudsen.com/privacy-guid...d-ip-leaks-using-firefox-advanced-preferences

Firefox
open about:config and set the following
beacon.enabled = false
dom.battery.enabled = false
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false
geo.enabled = false
media.eme.enabled = false
media.navigator.enabled = false
media.peerconnection.enabled = false
network.dns.disablePrefetch = true
network.http.sendRefererHeader = 0
network.prefetch-next = false
privacy.firstparty.isolate = true
privacy.resistFingerprinting = true
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled = true
webgl.disabled = true

https://sunknudsen.com/privacy-guid...d-ip-leaks-using-firefox-advanced-preferences

Firefox
open about:config and set the following
beacon.enabled = false
dom.battery.enabled = false
dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled = false
geo.enabled = false
media.eme.enabled = false
media.navigator.enabled = false
media.peerconnection.enabled = false
network.dns.disablePrefetch = true
network.http.sendRefererHeader = 0
network.prefetch-next = false
privacy.firstparty.isolate = true
privacy.resistFingerprinting = true
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled = true
webgl.disabled = true
I went ahead and did this after checking it out and as far as I can tell doesn't seem to have broken anything as everything still works.

The one thing I noticed is that when I open Firefox is I have to maximize my webpage.
I'll have to go back and find what setting changed that and change it back.

I figure I'd give it a try and see what happens and how it works because if you don't ever try things you won't know.

I mean worst that can happen is I break my Linux and have to reinstall my Linux and that's what Timeshift is supposed to be for.

Distro Watch weekly had a review of Browsers this week that some might find interesting.
Ah, there it is! I mentioned in another post that I had seen your link... somewhere! ;)

...and have to reinstall my Linux and that's what Timeshift is supposed to be for.

True, but Timeshift only snapshots what you have directed it to do in Settings. By default, it does not snapshot your Home folder or Partition - Tony George (its author) assumes you will make separate arrangements for Home. I have mine set up to snapshot Home, but I keep large files and folders catered to elsewhere.

For details on best setting up Timeshift for your circumstances, visit me at

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and ask.

When taking advice such as @BoringZombie provides, an alternative to your changing same settings on your existing profile would be to set up a new profile and test it. You can do that through using

about:profiles

as shown below

RtNvoAw.png

My apologies, @kc1di , we are heading off-topic. :eek:

Folks, if you have more questions along these lines, please start your own Thread at

General Computing

Bear in mind what I said above, that, for the most part, the browsers are not a Linux product, and we can only tell you what we know, or make an educated guess - difficult questions are better directed to the browsers' websites (Firefox is Mozilla) or their community forums.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts