Brother Printer Drivers

Hello all. Brand new to LINUX. I Have Mint installed and trying to get my Brother HL-L23150W printer going. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Not even sure if this is compatible. Thanks!

Perhaps you can find it HERE ?

Hold the phone, might be putting the cart before the horse :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Mike, are you actively running a Linux Distro currently, and if so, which one?

eg Ubuntu 18.04 , Linux Mint 19.1 &c?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'd recommend making sure you have CUPS and gutenprint installed.
Then try adding a new printer via your desktop environments settings.

The exact location in the settings will vary from DE to DE, but somewhere in there should be an "Add printer" option - which should pop up a dialog asking you for the make/model of the printer.
Work through those dialogs and with any luck, there should be gutenprint drivers for your printer that are already available to CUPS.

If not, that would be the time to search the manufacturers website and support forums to try to find appropriate drivers.

Setting up the printer in the DE's settings has always worked for me. But perhaps I've just been lucky with the printers I've bought in the past, IDK?!

Thanks all.

And yes, your right its a HL-L2315DW. I will try those suggestions and see if I can get things running!

BTW, Im actively running MINT only on computer (No windows on this computer).

If it's HL-L2315DW -- then the link below might get you going. You need to know what kind of Linux package management you are using, whether RPM or DEB based.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2315dw_us

It does indeed look like Brother supports that printer on Linux!
There is a .deb file available which should work just fine in Mint.
On the site are clear instructions on how to install and configure.

There are several downloads available. One appears to be just the printer driver and the other looks like the whole 'kit & kaboodle' if you want scanner functionality, etc.

+1 for Brother's Linux support.

There is a .deb file available which should work just fine in Mint.

I forget if gdebi is installed in Mint by default.... if not, it's highly recommended for installing .deb files. As others noted though, CUPS might already have all you need as well.

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts