Broken MicroSDs

jackson22679

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I have recently been messing with my Raspberry Pi 3 in the hopes of getting some flavor of ubuntu on it.
I am not the greatest with Linux yet so I find myself stumped quite often with things.

My problem is I used Etcher to create some bootable disks to try Ubuntu MATE with it, and although I had some success, some didn't work at all, some very slow etc.
Now, I am trying to reformat the disks and try again, but I cannot even find them on GParted or Windows Disk Manager (everything on Windows turns chaotic when I plug the sd in).

I had 3 8gb Kingston cards, and now they are all bricked and I don't know what to do.

I am guessing I either followed a poor guide or followed it incorrectly.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would like to not have to buy new disks..
(I figure it is some file system related issue, when I created the disks with Etcher I formatted it to cleared or unallocated, but I didn't think it would matter)

Thanks,
Jackson

Have to remember Raspberry Pi is arm64 not amd64 so you need an arm64 OS that works on Raspberry - if you are going to use Ubuntu then use Ubuntu Server - https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi or Ubuntu Mate Pi - https://ubuntu-mate.org/ports/raspberry-pi/
Raspberry Pi Imager is the quick and easy way to install Raspberry Pi OS and other operating systems to a microSD card, ready to use with your Raspberry Pi. - https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/
Raspberry Pi imaging tool has an option to format an SD card to the correct FAT filesystem. Run the Raspberry Pi Imager application, then from the Choose OS option, select Erase (Format card as FAT32). Now select the SD card you wish to format from the Choose SD Card option, and finally click on Write.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

I have recently been messing with my Raspberry Pi 3 in the hopes of getting some flavor of ubuntu on it.
I am not the greatest with Linux yet so I find myself stumped quite often with things.

My problem is I used Etcher to create some bootable disks to try Ubuntu MATE with it, and although I had some success, some didn't work at all, some very slow etc.
Now, I am trying to reformat the disks and try again, but I cannot even find them on GParted or Windows Disk Manager (everything on Windows turns chaotic when I plug the sd in).

I had 3 8gb Kingston cards, and now they are all bricked and I don't know what to do.

I am guessing I either followed a poor guide or followed it incorrectly.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would like to not have to buy new disks..
(I figure it is some file system related issue, when I created the disks with Etcher I formatted it to cleared or unallocated, but I didn't think it would matter)

Thanks,
Jackson

Bricked can be saved using mintStick. My Peppermint laptops have it, it restores even old Win recovery usb's when Win won't. If they are not broke in half, it will bring them back. Or a MicroCenter if you got one sells 64Gb's for under 10 bucks.

I just restored a 500GB HD with it. Was being read as a 32GB drive with Win10 recovery. Gparted, Win Disk man, all would not redo the drive. mintStick recovered the formatted partition then the free space part was visible then full format ready to use.

Staff online

Members online