[. . .- - -. . .] Broken Arrow

Ern3st1989

Reaction score
Credits
QUICK READ? Start *******
So, I need a sold…I have been brain storming/ working this for 3 days and I am stuck in Apache Junction, Arizona : 85120 w/out my normal “resource's”. So this is going to be a little like ANY famous scene where the ‘dude’ comes in with duck tape, misshaped and misaligned items, 550 cord, and a poly bag and says [this is what we have / this is what we have to do]

My old laptop was stolen, so I reverted back to an old(er) one had. specially a Lenovo [IBM] ThinkPad T430 on Win10. Till I bricked it trying to add SAASpaas Password Mgmt software. **Do NOT USE (different post) ((even their “Help-Desk)) No, problem, I finally just gave up and reimagined the entire workbook. But when I did, the old boot sector remained active and…

The OS corrupted both sectors and now I can’t do shit. I have 2 iPhones (non jailed), 2 USBs, empty and with “live” Fedora WkStation.iso in Fat32 w/ bootable sector. {supposedly} and I get shit to do shit for me. I even thought I may be able to use intels AMT to somehow get a cmd line somewhere. Because that’s really all K need. From there I could figure it out. But &:’@:&: I am so tired and stuck in a bad place. If I could Id beg someone to NetInstall and just flash over the image but I don’t have WiFi w/out an OS and can’t flash anything else without a lapto and i am so so so so done with windows after this.
F###, if your in the area & willing to make a USB for me…I’d reimburse! And I know this community is known for coming through for each other. This is my real number and real email. AAmy ideas any help. Anything really.
(602)tree6tree-7091
<< [email protected] >>

So, if you don’t get the title I apologize…it’s simply S.O.S and the (Vietnam era) military code for a downed Pilot behind enemy lines. Both used as “universal” signal to say FLASH-STOP! Emergency message traffic

G'day & welcome to linux.org

You would do well to take a look at the Forums tab and see the subforums we have here, and post there, whether it be Networking, Fedora, whatever, but not getting started.

Come back to me, and I will move you there.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day & welcome to linux.org

You would do well to take a look at the Forums tab and see the subforums we have here, and post there, whether it be Networking, Fedora, whatever, but not getting started.

Come back to me, and I will move you there.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Sorry about that, I just kinda went w/ it

Moving you to Linux Networking.

Good luck

Wizard

Okay, lemme get this straight:
- Man down, stranded.
- Equipment: 2x iPhones, USB flashdrive w/ Fedora Live, USB flashdrive empty, notebook PC paperweight.

Okay, can't you install GRUB from Fedora on the MBR? Try running gParted or Parted. If you "create a new partition table" (as msdos), it will wipe the boot sector. Failing that...

If you can wait, just order a live CD online. Pages:
https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/linux-usb.html
https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/linux-discs/debian-linux.html
https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/ubuntu2004.html
As per your needs.

If you can't wait for shipping...

Lessee... Do you have a USB-C to USB-A cable (connect iPhone to PC)? If so, set your iPhone to tether via USB. Fedora should see it as an eth/usb-eth device (I haven't tethered for ages, let-alone v/ USB). Assuming it goes okay, you don't need much airtime/data. Download one of the following and use Fedore Live to "dd" it to your empty stick.

#1 Antix-Base: Fullish OS (~700MB) believe it or not.
#2 Antix-Core: Only OS (~450MB) Can do mostly what you need for repairs (if possible). Includes non-free firmware/drivers by default.

Antix-Base option can run a full desktop entirely on the USB flashstick, w/o install, even if you add LibreOffice and some games. It has "magic".

Other option is:
#3 TinyCore: Usable (163MB) WARNING: may have some issues. Development is erratic. I see it was updated recently, so it'll prolly work. Quite different from standard distros beneath the hood. Uses minimalist DE (well, more like just a WM and a component or two). Anyway, advanced use or RTFM. One of the first Linux-based OSes I tried over a decade back.

If you don't have a means of tethering either of your phones' network, try to download to you phone and then copy the files to the home folder while running Fedora live. It'll be stored in RAM AFAIK. From there, dd it to the empty flash stick. Failing that...

IDK, but if iPhones support MicroSD cards and you have one, download a CD image to the MicroSD with the phone if you have an SD card reader in the PC.
You may be able to "make" an adapter for the MicroSD in the phone to the PC. You'll have to open the PC and check the points in the card reader and use some metal pins to align the conductive points on the MicroSD to the SD card reader points. It's a little risky as you'll need to know which way around they go (the contacts aren't marked, but generally it should align with the MicroSD facing up towards you and the lip to your left. You can hold the pins in place with duct tape. That way you can copy the image (#1, #2, or #3) downloaded to the phone's MicroSD to the PC and do as in the previous step.

[Mod notice: If following content seems inappropriate, edit out. Technically in line with ToS, but is borderlining]
Other than that, go to an internet cafe or other place with access, and just sneakily download to USB. You can bypass most caps by downloading in chunks. (Firefox and other browser support resuming download, as do most websites). Stealth mission. You could also sneak onto the admin PC by creating a distraction for underpaid staff guy (or you could just pay him to STFU to his boss) and grabbing #3. Should take ~2min or less on a decent connection.

Members online