Brave is not in the repository

nntn

Reaction score
Credits
Why are there users using it and giving rave reviews and suggestions?

This question is only referring to Mint and not other Operating Systems.

Asked but have never gotten an answer about what's the difference between using the CLI to transport and getting it directly from the repository?

At least Librewolf can be retrieved through flatpak.

So it is a preference and not so much of being cautious about the activities happening in Mint when getting out there to the internet.

There are are so many different stories, so do you have an answer to this question "Why are there users using Brave and giving rave reviews and suggestions?".

"Why are there users using Brave and giving rave reviews and suggestions?".
You probably dont need to be Einstein to figure that out. Obviously the browser is performing better than what they were using beforehand.
That is certainly the case in my own experience.

from this page:

Release Channel Installation
Debian 9+, Ubuntu 16.04+ and Mint 18+
If you get gnutls_handshake() errors after adding the Brave repository on Debian 9, you may need to uninstall old conflicting packages.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

If it doesn't suit you, uninstall it.

No biggie

Asked but have never gotten an answer about what's the difference between using the CLI to transport and getting it directly from the repository?

Some people use the cli (terminal) becasue it is cool to do so....others use it because they understand its workings and take advantage of that fact...other yet again becasue it is quick....I am sure there will be a thousand other reasons.....

I used it to install Brave, because it was the easiest install option to find.

If Brave had turned out to be a pain in the butt, I would have simply uninstalled it....and that would be the end of that.

If by doing that with some app, I managed to screw the system , then I simply reinstall Linux. Simple. It is free, after all.

Usually though, I will have a Timeshift snapshot available to 'roll back' to a previous time, and this has saved me many, many reinstalls of Linux. It has been worth spending a littlew tiome with Timeshift to ensure that I always have a reasonably 'fresh' Timeshift snapshot. I also delete older Timeshift snapshots so that not too much space on the external hard drive is absorbed.

When I initially installed Brave, I was not too sure about it so I Created a snapshot.......then installed Brave.....I was impressed with brave so there was no need to roll back.

Try to think about your operating system and what you can do....in terms of Linux.....not in terms of windows. Linux is not Windows. The differences are huge. Linux does spell freedom. Freedom to blow away a distro that has tanked/gone wrong/that you have broken etc etc etc etc.....and simply reinstall it or reinstall any of the hundreds of others that are all available free.

Last edited:
The question is a combination of the subject and the question "Why are there users using Brave and giving rave reviews and suggestions?"

So I should revise that, Brave is not in the repository, why are there users using Brave and not say Brave is different and can be retrieved that way. No problem.

Then why say LW is not in the repository and would not trust using it, but it seems you said something about this:
If LW ever puts in the effort to pass the requirements to be listed in the Linux Repositories....then I will pay attention. Until then?...not a chance.

Obviously, LW is not as safe as is provided in the repositories.

People use what works for them and gives them a good user experience, there's nothing more to it. I generally try to limit the packages I use from the AUR, I also read the PKGBUILD before installing it and I only use packages with a high vote count and high popularity. It's up to use to decide whether you trust a third-party repository or not.

""If LW ever puts in the effort to pass the requirements to be listed in the Linux Repositories....then I will pay attention. Until then?...not a chance.""

That is one persons opinion/approach

What exactly do YOU want ?
If you are looking for an exact science with answers that are not capable of being argued/debated about....different people having different opinioins etc etc, you are in the wrong place.

You are picking at trivialities.

That approach is for Windows users.

So those suggestions are not facts.

Last edited:
Brave browser works like a dream in Linux Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon)

Got a different distro?....download it and try it (after taking a Timeshift snapshot, of course)

You find it to be a pain in the butt?....blow it away (uninstall) and move on. (to something else)

Facts are sometimes difficult to establish. The fact that some app comes from the repository, is sufficient to tell you that it is safe in terms of security etc

More than that.....install it and see how it behaves on your system. Every persons LM20.2 will be different in some way.....kernel differences, app differences, some systems will not be up to date.....and the list is interminable....it would go on and on forever.....and with each little difference there will be a possibility that any given app will behave differently for you than it will for the next guy.

it is a good thing that we/our systems are not all the same.

Keeps the interest status up.....keeps us alert.

The question is a combination of the subject and the question "Why are there users using Brave and giving rave reviews and suggestions?"

So I should revise that, Brave is not in the repository, why are there users using Brave and not say Brave is different and can be retrieved that way. No problem.
Hell man just install the Brave browser you ain't going to wreck anything if you don't like it.

Most software from the repository or a Deb file download from a reputable source is easily removed using Synaptic Package Manager.

Software can also be easily removed using the terminal.

Code:
sudo apt remove package name

sudo apt purge package name

sudo apt autoremove

I'm not a Linux guru but I've installed and uninstalled a lot of different software from the repository and from reputable sources and haven't had any problems from doing so.

Part of the fun of Linux is trying out different stuff or it is for me.

If you don't ever try the you won't ever know.

My $2.00 dollars worth.

So what has been said are not facts.

Quite likely, you may be confused.

Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

If you want to be certain that you are getting facts rather than helpful opinions from willing people, you may have to look elsewhere.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW the same applies with

Asked but have never gotten an answer about what's the difference between...

All these discussions we get on what is the best distro/desktop/mail client/browser are really superfluous, at the end of the day it is down to personal choice, which looks and feels right for you, so there is no point in arguing over them, after all its linux and linux means choice

My 2'/6p worth
Bwiz

The fact of the Matter is Mint Dev's and repository managers have chosen for some reason not to include Brave in the official repositories. I don't know the reasoning other than bandwidth cost money. and they may have deemed it was not a needed browser for them to maintain. If you want to use brave as many ops seem to like it today. You'll have to do the leg work yourself. My general rule of thumb is if it's not in the official repositories of the Distro I'm using I'm very careful about installing it. But it can be done and done safely. People choose to recommend what works for them. So Brave seems to get good reviews from those that use it. Give it a try and see if it meets your needs.
(Note: That's all just my opinion on the matter.)

Brave is available in 20.04 (Ubuntu) - though I think it's a snap.

Selection_020.png

So, in time it'll likely show up in more and more repos, at least those that support snap.

Yeah, it's:

Code:
sudo snap install brave

(Or use the GUI.)

Reactions: Rob
Brave is also available in MX-21 works well there also.

Why are there users using it and giving rave reviews and suggestions?

This question is only referring to Mint and not other Operating Systems.

So it is a preference and not so much of being cautious about the activities happening in Mint when getting out there to the internet.

There are are so many different stories, so do you have an answer to this question "Why are there users using Brave and giving rave reviews and suggestions?".
Brave Browser is a Snap Package in Ubuntu - Snap is disabled in Linux Mint 20 - need to enable Snap in Linux Mint to get it via Snap if you should choose to.
To enable snap support in Linux Mint 20
In a terminal, type the following command to move the nosnap preference file to your home directory:
Code:
sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref ~
Now you can go on and install the snapd daemon like always:
Code:
sudo apt install snapd
Once the snap support is enabled in Linux Mint, you can use the snap commands to install applications in Snap format. In your case for Brave Browser that would be
Code:
sudo snap install brave

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rob
I said in another thread (https://www.linux.org/threads/the-browsers-discussion.37505/#post-140167) a few days ago

I am moving this Thread to General Computing because although these and many more browsers are available to and used by Linux users, most of them are cross-platform, and they are developed, released, and maintained by non-Linux organisations and firms.

So while I agree with the spirit of what Bwiz's 2'/6p worth contained, the bottom line is

Browsers are not Linux.

Bottom line.

Cheers

Wiz

Browsers are not Linux.
think like Mr average .. if its built to run on Linux then its Linux, if its built to run on Microsoft then its windows Etc..
[oh and the spirit is Glen Garioch 25 yr old... if your buying
byogaKyrMXiEvbG0tMxz.gif
] :D

Members online

Latest posts