Brave Browser on Chromebook

mvc1

Reaction score
Credits
Hi - I'm completely new you to the world of Linux but have become interested in it with my growing awareness of privacy (or lack of it) on Windows and Android. I have a Chromebook and don't like using the Chrome browser and after watching a video on YouTube I somehow managed to to add the Brave browser through the terminal window. It works OK, however, when I try to download anything it takes me to an unfamiliar download interface and I can't seem to work out where I am. I also noticed that I can't use the dictation site "speechnotes" as the microphone doesn't seem to be available. As a workaround, I end up opening the Brave browser to do most of my work but I'm then forced to open the Chrome browser to use the dictation software. I'm hoping there will be a simple solution to getting the Brave browser to operate more efficiently. Regards mvc1.

I don't know the first thing about Chromebooks. However, as far as the 'speech-to-text' dictation software goes, this is one of the APIs that Google jealously hoard for themselves, and do NOT make available to other browser 'clones' through the Chromium Project.

If you want to use 'speech-to-text' stuff in a Chromium-based browser, it HAS to be Chrome itself.

Mike. :(

Hi Mike - Thanks for your comments. I have the same problem with the microphone even if I'm using the the Chrome speech-to-text facility. Mark.

We should have some folks on the forum who know more about Chromebooks than I do. Be patient; someone will be around before too long.....they're a pretty knowledgeable bunch here.

Mike. ;)

I'm also not sure about Chromebooks but are your permissions correct on Brave browser? If you go to brave://settings/content/microphone?search=mic you should set mic to "Sites can ask to use your microphone" then when you get to a site you want to use the mic on you have to approve the request. If the request doesn't automatically pop up you can click the little padlock to the left of the address bar, then go to "site permissions" then under Microphone check "Allow".

Hi Xanifer - thanks for your message. I did look at the Brave settings and the microphone was switched on.

Staff online