Brave Browser constantly freezes on Ubuntu

avanturismo

Reaction score
Credits
Desktop computer freezes and not responding, sometimes have to restart computer

wow...as little detail as possible !!

Welcome to Linux.org

give us some history...detail is good.....when it happened, when Ubuntu was installed, any problems with the install, do you have Timeshift, how long have you used brave browser, any other problems, does it freeze while using another browser, have you experienced freezing type symptoms before using Ubuntu...eg with windows....?
etc

etc

etc

wow...as little detail as possible !!

Welcome to Linux.org

give us some history...detail is good.....when it happened, when Ubuntu was installed, any problems with the install, do you have Timeshift, how long have you used brave browser, any other problems, does it freeze while using another browser, have you experienced freezing type symptoms before using Ubuntu...eg with windows....?
etc

etc

etc
hello and sorry for being a noob :)
it happens everyday since one month maybe. I instaled Ubuntu 10 months ago, there were no problems with instalation. Im using Brave browser since I installed ubuntu. I use Brave also on windows pc and there is no problems at all.

Try this:

Open settings, click on System (on the left), and then disable hardware acceleration. It won't slow you down or anything, as it doesn't actually work in Linux but Google has it enabled by default even though they didn't have any plans on making it work the last time I dug into this.

Most of the time it doesn't break anything when it's enabled, but sometimes it causes all sorts of weird behavior - including freezing the entire system. So, turn it off and restart the browser. Use the browser for a while and see if it freezes again.

I've had abysmal browser experiences on anything that was based off chrome. Ended up with Vivaldi for a while until an update just summarily deleted it. Now I am right back where I started... using firefox.

See if you another browser will work better for you. In this day and age, importing bookmarks and passwords between browsers is pretty easy.

So, turn it off and restart the browser. Use the browser for a while and see if it freezes again.
@avanturismo .....Is your 'situation' fixed?....changed?.......still exists?......??

I have my doubts that Brave would be the problem. The obvious thing to try would be any other browser, eg firefox. Have you looked at any system updates that have taken place since the freezing began?

I have my doubts that Brave would be the problem.

Brave itself is unlikely to be the problem.

The problem is that Chromium, on which Brave is based, ships with Hardware Acceleration enabled by default.

I just had this very conversation on AskUbuntu today. (I don't normally have time to visit that site these days.) The person insisted that it worked on other machines. So, I shared a link that pointed out that it didn't actually work on any machines and that Google wasn't interested in making it work.

It wasn't that it was working on those machines - it's that it wasn't causing any problems on those machines. There's a HUGE difference between those two things, which seemed to be lost on the person asking the question.

Anyhow, not only is it not working, it exists in the Linux version of the application. It works just fine in Windows, but Google had 'no plans' to make it work in Linux. So, not only does it not work but it's enabled by default. Not only is it enabled by default, it breaks some operating systems, 'causing everything up to and including full-system freezes.

So, no... No, Brave isn't the problem here. The base software they're using is the problem. They can't really be blamed for this.

That said, I did read that there might be experimental hardware acceleration available for Linux users that also use an AMD GPU. It'd still be in the experimental phase and likely causing as many problems as it 'fixes'.

There's literally no benefit to keeping it turned on and all sorts of potential benefits to turning it off. The whole situation is straight up flippin' moronic and the only party to blame is Google. If it's enabled and not breaking things, that's great. It's not actually helping anything, but at least it's not breaking anything.

I installed Brave some time ago and it runs great...I'm using it now on Mint Cinnamon 19.1...runs better than Firefox.
m1212.gif

Members online