Brand new be gentle

G

gibbo1

Hi
I am brand new to Linux having read about it i thought id give a bootable usb a go
I have downloaded the ISO and made the usb bootable and have explored Linux Mint BUT i cannot figure how to get onto the net i have spent ages trying and getting nowhere fast ..I am not too tech savvy
The Connection icon just says disconnected but i have no idea how to connect and whatever i have tried does not make the slightest difference
I am trying to connect via my Wifi Connection in my home but its not clear to me after being on windows for 15 or so years what info to stick in what box and where ,how etc
I am running or trying to run Linux Mint 16 xfce it looks good so far just am unable to get on the net
Id be grateful for any help

Does the network menu show anything else about the wireless connections? If any connections are available? Do you know what wifi card your computer is using?

No worries but u need to install your wifi, enter the command at the terminal "lspci -v" then figure out ur wifi and search how to install it.

No worries but u need to install your wifi, enter the command at the terminal "lspci -v" then figure out ur wifi and search how to install it.
Hi
Ok well this is not going well at all!! I managed to find the terminal but my god i must be as thick as anything because i am typing in lspci -v and it is saying command not found
I think ive been windows orientated for way too long Linux seems extremely difficult to get on with .. i cant even carry out the most basic of commands and cannot even figure out how to connect to the net..Its a shame because Linux mint looks so promising its just a shame its way too hard for a newbie to understand ..what am i doing wrong !!
Thanks for your patience

Last edited:
Hi Ryan
Thanks for your patience and trying to help BUT ...
I clicked on that Link But have no idea what i have to do with it!!
I have anOld Dell Laptop with XP pro on which i read about Linux and thought id give it a go on a USB first
I think a few more people will be changing from Windows to Linux after the support for XP stops as there are many articles in Magazines here in the UK about trying Linux But for me its just too hard to understand all i want to do is connect to the internet and id be happy .id probably install it alongside Windows as it does look interesting if i could just sort this problem out it doesnt seem that much of a deal but its making me feel like an idiot!! .I have a Wifi Router in my house and a card with a wireless SSD number and Wireless Key thats it In windows all i do is type these two pieces of information in and voila im on the net in 5 seconds for the life of me i cannot figure out what i am supposed to do to to get connected in Both Mint and Ubuntu which i downloaded and tried ..again with the same results ..No Internet ..It comes up with the same thing DISCONNECTED and vpns and SSIDs BSIDs trying to connect up mean nothing to me i am just not skilled enough to figure out what i am supposed to put in where i have had a mate come eround and looked at it and we both cannot figure out what we are supposed to do to Linux just seems a mystery when problems occur as people who are using it assume everyone has knowledge of command lines etc .and i dont its just not user friendly enough when there is a simple problem like this why there isnt a box that comes up and tells you what to do i cannot understand and its extemely frustrating

Members online