Borked network, likely due to Samba

LorenDB

Reaction score
Credits
The other day I was messing around with Samba settings in YaST on my work PC trying to get logged into our Windows network. In the process, I managed to bork my network settings so that Plasma's network widget shows a connection without any internet access. VirtualBox VMs can access the 'net, though. More details tomorrow when I'm at work.

Any preliminary thoughts will be welcomed.

Well. SMB is a filesharing protocol, so it makes sense your VMs still connect to the internet since their connection is forwarded by the host.
Off the cuff, I'd say to check your SMB settings for simple things: correct password and username, correct slashes, correct IP addresses/ranges, the usual, even pinging the other machines. Check security settings on the Windows side, too. Pitty you don't have just *nix machines. NFS mounts are way simpler.
On the mounts note, if you are trying to mount your Windows shares in fstab, try falling back to version 1 of CIFS (vers=1.1 option IIRC). My outer has a virtual NAS function and it took me a while before discovering that.

Other than that, w/o info, pretty pointless speculating. Troubleshoot order should start with Windows x Windows shares, then if they're fine, you know you'll have to check you Linux rigs, otherwise check the servers for config mistakes. About the best guesses I can make ATM.

OK! Here come the promised gory details:

I've given up on correctly connecting Samba for now; I'd rather have my internet back. I have tried to reset all my settings to the original setttings (meaning the ones that worked before). However, restoring both /etc/samba and /etc/NetworkManager from a backup did not make any difference. When I log in to Plasma at boot, I get a notification saying "This device appears to be connected to a network but is unable to reach the internet." Neither Ethernet nor Wi-Fi work. I've also attempted to change settings in YaST for firewall and network, without success.

Off the cuff, I'd say to check your SMB settings for simple things: correct password and username, correct slashes, correct IP addresses/ranges, the usual, even pinging the other machines.
As mentioned above, I'm putting plans of setting up SMB on hold right now.

Pitty you don't have just *nix machines. NFS mounts are way simpler.
Yeah, but given that we are using Windows almost exclusively (I'm the only person on Linux, and even I have a secondary Windows PC) I think that SMB makes more sense in our situation.

On the mounts note, if you are trying to mount your Windows shares in fstab, try falling back to version 1 of CIFS (vers=1.1 option IIRC).
I hadn't got to the mounting shares point yet.

Troubleshoot order should start with Windows x Windows shares, then if they're fine, you know you'll have to check you Linux rigs, otherwise check the servers for config mistakes
Windows-to-Windows is fine; the server is fine as well. It's just my machine acting weird.

Hopefully this gives a bit more insight into my problem and can help with troubleshooting.

The plot thickens...

I restored a backup of my /etc folder from several months ago; the network functions fine now. Time for some real debugging of what needs restored and what can be kept in its present state.

Members online