Booting from USB problems.

scam

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all. I have Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon on desktop. I want to wipe HD and install fresh again. Downloaded latest version, checked sha, made bootable ISO but its not working. In previous thread which I cant find someone said it was maybe the usb sticks I was using. Having tried lots of different things, I gave in and bought a new one. Formatted it and wrote ISO from the desktop in question, not working. Repeated same process on a macbook...still not working. I boot from the USB, it says Loading Operation System but then just boots into existing Mint OS on desktop. What am I doing wrong?? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

What are you using to make the USB? Try Balena Etcher if you're not already using it.

I have used the same Mac book with Etcher before and didnt have any problems...I'm kinda out of ideas

I had an USB Stick that gave me issues - I used Gparted and deleted the partition on the thumb drive and created a new one reformatted it and it started working

If you are using a good quality new USB, burnt as a bootable medium using Etcher on an existing machine, I cant see the problem,
TRY using your existing mint usb formatter to re-format the USB to Fats or X-Fats, then use the mint usb writer to re-write the downloaded image, and try that

Hi Lord Boltar. I am just trying what you said now. thanks.

Hi again Brickwizard, you were helping me before...re message on boot up about GRUB. Well I took your advice and bought a new one. Now I dont get the GRUB message but it just boots on threw to the existing OS. I have used the existing MInt tools, tried both fat and x fat. And then when that didnt work, used Mac n Etcher, re formatted and re wrote ISO, same thing it just boots on threw to existing.

but it just boots on threw to the existing OS.
fist thing to look at is the boot options in BIOS, set first boot to usb, alternatively open quick boot menu [options depend on on your computer] select usb and enter

Yo Brickwazard, this may be something. No luck that time. But it does flash up some messages after Loading Operating System screen. Too fast to read them so filmed it and paused it. Says...

usb 2-1.3 device descriptor ready 64 error -32

and a few other lines

device not accepting address 5 error -3
unable to enumerate usb device

fist thing to look at is the boot options in BIOS, set first boot to usb, alternatively open quick boot menu [options depend on on your computer] select usb and enter
Ya on mine its f12, I hold that down and get list select usb hdd and thats it. Done this before many times but never had any problems

tLwIDWGqBQeFucjlKiPi.gif

Brickwizard...does any of these give you an idea??

usb 2-1.3 device descriptor ready 64 error -32

and a few other lines

device not accepting address 5 error -3
unable to enumerate usb device

I have vague recollections that They mean that something basic is missing. The USB and the computer are communicating but do not understand each other. I have a feeling it may be to do with connection speed,
but these are as I say recollections

Ok. Thanks Brickwizard. What can I do yo repair the missing bits?

Try a different port.

Are you using a USB hub? If so, plug it in directly - and try a couple of different ports - try those on the front and those on the back (assuming you have those).

Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Hi KG I fif that already, put it in the back of tower. Was using front, no hub

lets say the usb is ok, can I delete hd from bios or someway? And then run usb for install?

I'm confused, if the usb is bootable on its own why is it looking for mussing stuff on existing hd?

Staff online