booting from partition of secondary HDD

teal

Reaction score
Credits
I tried to install ubuntu, and I'm pretty sure it worked as I have checked in windows and my secondary drive still exists. My secondary drive is partitioned into 3 sections, sys info for drive, fat partition with 300gb allocated, 200 gb ext4 or whatever the dedicated Linux partition is. ubuntu is installed on the last partition, but when launching from the BIOS config, there's only 2 options, SATA 1, and SATA 2. selecting either sends me to windows, so I suspect it checks the SATA2 then defaults to SATA 1. I'm curious why it's defaulting to windows when checking the drive that ubuntu is on. How could I get it to actually boot into Linux?

And to be fair, I've googled a ton and either I'm looking in the wrong spot or I don't know what I'm looking for. I do suspect that this is probably not gonna work though.

And to be fair, I've googled a ton and either I'm looking in the wrong spot or I don't know what I'm looking for. I do suspect that this is probably not gonna work though.

You're right on all of that. :) But it happens to many, many of us in the beginning, so do not be daunted :D

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Now I note my friend Brian is on deck and he will find this Thread any minute now :p:rolleyes:

So I will be back as soon as I can with more, subject to what he has to say.

BTW if all had gone correctly, your rig would have booted into Ubuntu, following a Menu called Grub featuring Ubuntu first and then Windows Boot Manager, which is Windows.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You're right on all of that. :) But it happens to many, many of us in the beginning, so do not be daunted :D

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

Now I note my friend Brian is on deck and he will find this Thread any minute now :p:rolleyes:

So I will be back as soon as I can with more, subject to what he has to say.

BTW if all had gone correctly, your rig would have booted into Ubuntu, following a Menu called Grub featuring Ubuntu first and then Windows Boot Manager, which is Windows.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thanks for the reply!
Guess I'm back to the drawing board for now, although I did find something.

Currently my second hard drive states 'Other' is its first partition. If I wipe that partition and replace it with GRUB in the MBR, could I use GRUB to specify the partition I want to boot into? or does it default to the second partition?

Guess I'm back to the drawing board for now

Hold your horses, young fella :), (and I was wrong about my friend Brian swinging through :oops:, my bad)

Let's get some specs on your rig and see what we are working with here.

1. Are you using Windows 7, 8 or 10?
2. Are you experienced with Windows Snipping Tool?
3. Are you a member of an image hosting site such as Imgur, Photobucket or the like?
4. Is the secondary drive internal or external?
5. Which Ubuntu, give us the .iso name if you have it in your Downloads?
6. Did you burn the iso onto a USB stick or a DVD and using which burning software?
7. Did you check its hash sum / checksum algorithm for verification?

We could use information from two Windows sources:

msinfo32 aka System Information

and

diskmgmt.msc aka Disk Management

Methods vary a little from Windows 7 through 10.

Basically, for either, you can go to Start and run the commands msinfo32 and then later diskmgmt.msc

With Disk Management in Win 10 you can also press and hold the Windows key, and tap the letter X and choose Disk Management.

Maximise the window in each case and take a screenshot of each and post them up here, either as an attachment, or through an image hosting site.

I have a small tutorial here https://www.linux.org/threads/posti...site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/#post-63917 ... on how to do this from Imgur.

Teal if you give us the above information, we can better advise what to do next.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hold your horses, young fella :), (and I was wrong about my friend Brian swinging through :oops:, my bad)

Let's get some specs on your rig and see what we are working with here.

1. Are you using Windows 7, 8 or 10?
2. Are you experienced with Windows Snipping Tool?
3. Are you a member of an image hosting site such as Imgur, Photobucket or the like?
4. Is the secondary drive internal or external?
5. Which Ubuntu, give us the .iso name if you have it in your Downloads?
6. Did you burn the iso onto a USB stick or a DVD and using which burning software?
7. Did you check its hash sum / checksum algorithm for verification?

We could use information from two Windows sources:

msinfo32 aka System Information

and

diskmgmt.msc aka Disk Management

Methods vary a little from Windows 7 through 10.

Basically, for either, you can go to Start and run the commands msinfo32 and then later diskmgmt.msc

With Disk Management in Win 10 you can also press and hold the Windows key, and tap the letter X and choose Disk Management.

Maximise the window in each case and take a screenshot of each and post them up here, either as an attachment, or through an image hosting site.

I have a small tutorial here https://www.linux.org/threads/posti...site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/#post-63917 ... on how to do this from Imgur.

Teal if you give us the above information, we can better advise what to do next.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
1. Win 10
2. enough to post screenshots
3. I am - https://imgur.com/a/x2M3hC5
4. internal HDD
5. ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64
6. burnt to a micro sd adapted to usb - trust me it works, It booted for the trial run.
7. I have no idea and I'm gonna do some more research.
Apologies for replying so late, difficult balancing school and other stuff.

edit: -

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts