Booting from grub

Renier

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys.

As just a newby I actually have an advanced problem. I started by downloading lubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-i386.iso
The system I intend to use is quite old and small. Using woeusb I created a bootable USB. When I boot from USB on my older PC I get "GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u1

Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
Lists all possible command completions, Anywhere else TAB lists possible
device or file completions.

grub>_

By reading some help articles I found typing "ls" would give me the storage device partitions.
Then I should type "root=(hd0,msdos1)" Then "linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2"
After typing "linux" My options (by pressing tab is) :boot/ casper/ dists/ install/ isolinux/ md5sum.txt pics/ pool/ preseed/ diskdefines ubuntu/ grub/

/vmlinuz does not exist.

Is there someone who can help me with this problem?

Ok good news.
I figured out that vmlinuz lies under casper/
I even initialised the ram using "initrd casper/initrd.lz"
after these actions I type boot just to find myself back at the start.
What am I doing wrong?

G'day @Renier and welcome to linux.org :)

Just some aids (to us/you) to the troubleshooting to follow:

1. Computer brand name and model, any specs you have for it, including maybe how old it is
  2. Do you have an alternative USB stick you can burn Lubuntu to, to try it?
OR
2.a - use a different burning solution. Not many folks here are likely to know much about WoeUSB (including me :)) but as I understand it, it is a Linux only tool.

You might want to try Etcher instead, very simple and good success rate.

3. Are you trying to dualboot with Windows?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Unfortunately. As clued up about things I am. I'm still just a noobie. I dont have windows OS on any of my devices. I'm using sparky linux at the moment and I'm content. I installed on my main PC 2 days ago.

For the smaller pc. I'm using a 32Gig cruzer blade SanDisk (USB). The PC seems to be an American Megatrend pc. It's running a vortex A9130 processor at 933MHz. The ram is 992 mb 366MHz. Main Storage is Kingston 32Gig MicroSD

So you see. It's immensely small.
Currently running on the system is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I don't want to dualboot. I want to erase entire storage medium.

I will give Etcher a try and keep you updated

Ok Etcher did not work. It fails to run on sparky linux. But. My sister happens to have a windows pc. I can try to run Rufus on that. And still keep you updated

One more update. It would seem as though the cpu is not compatible with this kernel. As the pc informed me after booting a dd image created in Rufus.

Seems I havteto go back to square one and find a very lightweight linux distro for this pc thanx for all the help guys

Hi guys.

As just a newby I actually have an advanced problem. I started by downloading lubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-i386.iso
The system I intend to use is quite old and small. Using woeusb I created a bootable USB. When I boot from USB on my older PC I get "GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta3-5+deb9u1

Minimal Bash-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
Lists all possible command completions, Anywhere else TAB lists possible
device or file completions.

grub>_

By reading some help articles I found typing "ls" would give me the storage device partitions.
Then I should type "root=(hd0,msdos1)" Then "linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2"
After typing "linux" My options (by pressing tab is) :boot/ casper/ dists/ install/ isolinux/ md5sum.txt pics/ pool/ preseed/ diskdefines ubuntu/ grub/

/vmlinuz does not exist.

Is there someone who can help me with this problem?
yeahh ... now i had that problem one week ago ... and the solution is ....
first ... run a live sesion with your operation system ,,, upgrade your grub .."google it "...
after that upgrade your whole system ,,,\
dist-upgrade
and the most important thing is CHANGE THE USB STICK and ,... make it bootable ...then reinstall system ... that1s all ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
One more update. It would seem as though the cpu is not compatible with this kernel. As the pc informed me after booting a dd image created in Rufus.

Seems I havteto go back to square one and find a very lightweight linux distro for this pc thanx for all the help guys
hi the second solution is ...
1. set thows variables ,, set root=(hd0,msdos?)
set path=(hd0,msdos?/boot/grub
set prefix=(hd0,msdos?)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda
at the end install new sys

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this raises a new problem. The original operating system installed has no drivers installed. This means no internet. No internet means no downloading. No downloading no update. One huge cycle.

The person who had the device before I did, did not follow the necessary steps.

Thank you for your reply. However. I'm about to create a new thread in which I'll ask our experts what distro can support this system. Hopefully our experts can help on that. Enjoy a good day sir

Well this raises a new problem. The original operating system installed has no drivers installed. This means no internet. No internet means no downloading. No downloading no update. One huge cycle.

The person who had the device before I did, did not follow the necessary steps.

Thank you for your reply. However. I'm about to create a new thread in which I'll ask our experts what distro can support this system. Hopefully our experts can help on that. Enjoy a good day sir
k i understand ... so ... you can still set the variables ....
set
ls (one by one ) for finding your sys ...
set root=
set path=
set prefix=
update-grub don`t need internet connection
insmod normal
normal..
i think it gonna work ;)

I will try your method immediately.
and I will keep you updated. I just started using Linux 2 days ago and i'm falling inlove with the whole thing.
everything about it is just interesting to no extent

As promised. An update on how things went
When I typed "update-grub" I got the error: can't find command 'update-grub'
I got the dame error for "grub-install .dev/sda2

G'day all, it's beer o'clock in my part of sunny south-east Queensland, and so I have all the answers.

b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

Seriously, though, Renier, I would be inclined to try the Linux Distro MX-16, first Live on a stick, and then give it a go installed.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Old/MX-16/

is where you can download, the one you would want is at the top - MX-16_386.iso

It caters to non-PAE computers (which I suspect yours is) and to 32-bit, and still has support for likely a couple of years.

You could burn it with Rufus from Windows, but perhaps try a different method to the way that did not work. MX-16 can be burned with Rufus.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online