Bootable usb with Cinnamon not found in bios

enawrat

Reaction score
Credits
I must apologise if this is a common question, but I have looked everywhere and tried all the usual things, including trying to boot from grub via terminal, to no avail. These are my laptop and system details:
Linux Lite 2.8
Desktop:​
Xfce 4.10
Processor:​
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
Architecture:​
x86_64
Memory:​
3952MB (Used: 710MB 17.97%)
Hostname:​
enawrat-VGN-AR71M
Kernel:​
Linux 3.13.0-170-generic
I wrote the verified the iso image to usb using UNetbootin. Mounting it seems to reveal all the required files, i.e. that I have burned the iso image and not just copied the file to usb. The dual boot bios still only gives windows vista and linuxlite from hdd. The USB on this 9 years old Sony Vaio do seem to be working ok, too. As you can probably tell, I am a complete novice, so I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance.

When I have those issues I change the bios from or to legacy from uefi or legacy. Also are you using USB 2 sticks or 3 sticks? Sometimes that messes me up.

I must apologise if this is a common question, but I have looked everywhere and tried all the usual things, including trying to boot from grub via terminal, to no avail. These are my laptop and system details:
Linux Lite 2.8
Desktop:​
Xfce 4.10
Processor:​
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
Architecture:​
x86_64
Memory:​
3952MB (Used: 710MB 17.97%)
Hostname:​
enawrat-VGN-AR71M
Kernel:​
Linux 3.13.0-170-generic
I wrote the verified the iso image to usb using UNetbootin. Mounting it seems to reveal all the required files, i.e. that I have burned the iso image and not just copied the file to usb. The dual boot bios still only gives windows vista and linuxlite from hdd. The USB on this 9 years old Sony Vaio do seem to be working ok, too. As you can probably tell, I am a complete novice, so I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance.
Check your BIOS and verify that 'Boot from USB' is enabled.
Some motherboards have the ability to boot from USB but the feature is turned off.

Also, most BIOS'es default to booting from the HDD first. You will need to ensure that the boot from USB is 'first' - before booting from the HDD.

Thank you both for your instructive replies. I'm glad, though, that I didn't respond straight away, as I am now typing this within Cinnamon 19.3. To briefly answer your queries/suggestions: I did make USB boot the top-of-list boot option; I am using USB 2; I didn't change the boot mode - at least not knowingly - but this time I pressed restart and then inserted the USB, which (after a lot of worrying gobbledygook on screen, which contained the word "failed" several times!) brought up a Linux Mint options menu, from which I selected the default start in Mint option. Thank you once again.

Yeah, sometimes it does seem like magic ...

Members online