Bootable USB Stick keeps freezing after Logo (HDD)

Kurby-san

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,

I recently have been wanting to download one of the Linux OS to test them out. I didn't want to lose all my data in my Windows 10 SSD, so I tried downloading them on an older HDD. I've tried out Linux Mint, Ubuntu GamePack, and now Manjaro. But everyone of them seems to always freeze at the Logo, in Linux Mint at the Green Logo, in Ubuntu GamePack at the blue/black screen, and now in manjaro at the blue logo, after it says the date and time. I can't figure out what the problem might be, because all my hardware work perfectly fine with the Windows 10 SSD.

My Specs: A r9 290x twin frozer graphics card, an i3-2100 cpu, a DQ67SW Motherboard from Intel Corporation and a Thermaltake 650W psu

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me out.

G'day Kurby-san, Welcome to Linux.org

Whether you use existing ssd or an older hard drive, it will not have any effect on the usb stick booting, because when you boot a usb stick it uses the RAM on the pc to run in....not the hard drive.

So, either the usb stick is faulty or the iso did not 'burn' properly when you put it on the usb stick

Which app/program did you use to do that process?

Do you have a second usb stick

Where did you get your download of Linux Mint from ?

Did you verify your download/s

I used Rufus for the Process, as I used it around a year ago to download Linux Mint on a pretty bad PC.

I only have one other USB Stick (2GB) where I somehow managed to download Linux Mint on it and managed to get it working, so normally, the installation process should've worked, but on that harddrive it didn't. Thats why I thought the Harddrive is at fault.
For all of the Linux Downloads, I always used the official sites.
I only have the Link of Manjaro left: https://manjaro.org/download/

By the way, I use 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

How do I verify my downloads?

So it has been 3 and a half hours now, in that time I've tried using another old hardware and also my SSD, and as you said Mr Kennedy, the USB Stick is at fault. What i don't understand is why my 2GB Stick with Linux Mint on it doesn't work anymore either. It used to work, that's for sure. I also tried using UNetBoot and also retried using Rufus, but it still doesn't work.
I don't want to buy a new stick before I'm 100% sure that I have to buy one, do you think I should buy a new one? Or are there other ways to check what the problem is?
I hope you can help me once more with this issue.

Also, this message still hasn't become the moderator's approval, so I'll try sending it again:

I used Rufus for the Process, as I used it around a year ago to download Linux Mint on a pretty bad PC.

I only have one other USB Stick (2GB) where I somehow managed to download Linux Mint on it and managed to get it working, so normally, the installation process should've worked, but on that harddrive it didn't. Thats why I thought the Harddrive is at fault.
For all of the Linux Downloads, I always used the official sites.

By the way, I use 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

How do I verify my downloads?

Staff online