Boot with usb

Chris Rachal

Reaction score
Credits
So I have dual boot, windows 10 and Linux mint 19.1. I install Linux and moved the iso file to my usb. Plugged in the USB and went into the boot menu and launched Linux and from Linix I begin to click on install Linux. I need help figurijg out how can I have Linux to boot up without using my USB. Right now it's the only way Linux boots up even though it's installed on my PC. Another questions how do I make it to where the grub menu boots first as soon as you power on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Assuming you has followed the instructions to unplug after the installation have completed and rebooted it should come up with GRUB to select the OS you wanna use.

In case your PC is being dumb just press SHIFT on the left hand of your keyboard during boot to "force" GRUB to shows up. Also great if you need to swap kernels via GRUB if the GUI is inaccessible due to the upgraded kernel screwing you up.

Assuming you has followed the instructions to unplug after the installation have completed and rebooted it should come up with GRUB to select the OS you wanna use.

In case your PC is being dumb just press SHIFT on the left hand of your keyboard during boot to "force" GRUB to shows up. Also great if you need to swap kernels via GRUB if the GUI is inaccessible due to the upgraded kernel screwing you up.
Yeah I had a WiFi problem, due to my card now being the best compatible, but I went to updae the kernal and now I have to have a USB. Not a crazy big deal but as part of learning Linux i want to try and fix it .I'm sure it's something simple that I'm over looking seeing that linux is all new to me.

If Linux Mint is installed on the computer it should by default boot Linux Mint first.

If your Linux Mint is updated a new kernel should be displayed in the update manager and can be installed from there.

If are having problems with a recently installed kernel than upon restarting yor computer press and hold shift key and you should have the option to boot using the previous working Linux kernel.

I got Grub Menu to boot first. I feel dumb, I over looked the BIOS boot options. Your opinion, should i just leave Linux allow and just boot with my usb stick? Another question would you still feel that 29gb is enough space for Linux Mint?

Chris stay on board a few minutes, I'll be back

(other) Chris

I fixed it! I don't need the usb stick!

Legend

upload_2019-1-3_8-38-32.jpeg

Just for the benefit of The Viewers, Chris had a wifi issue here (goes to 3 pages) https://www.linux.org/threads/wifi-help.21380/

In the end, the only way we could get his Realtek rtl8723be working was to install the newest available kernel 4.18.0-13 ahead of the 4.15.0-20 that his Linux Mint 19.1 'Tessa' Cinnamon shipped with.

So changing kernels, IMO, was not an option above.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts