books, courses for advancing in linux

J

JoLu

hey all,

I'm a student ict and i have just seen the basics of linux. It really got in to me. Especially since i met a system admin last saturday. he was kinda busy so i didn't really have the oppurtunity to talk with him properly.

But seeing him raised my feelings, I want to be like him.

So my questions is can someone advice me books, courses so i can advance in using linux.

My final goal is to become a linux sysadmin or somrthing in that area.

But i'm kinda getting overwhelmth with information and I cant filter the good stuff.

I really hope someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Linux community!

Since you're just starting out, I would recommend that you just jump into Linux by USING it as much as possible. Download and install different distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, Suse). Note the differences between them as you go along and learn. Learn about package management differences. Install and configure software programs that appeal to you. Later on you will tackle installing software by compiling from source code, and how to patch the Linux kernel.

But it all takes time. Start at the beginning.... USE it. As you get more knowledge, set up your own home network with 2 or 3 computers. Make your Linux computers share files with Windows computers using Samba. Set up a firewall, a DNS server, a FTP server, and your own Web server using Apache. When you are doing all these things, you ARE a sysadmin.

Good luck!

Linux foundation and edx have joined together and made a free (last I looked) course... Its geared towards a user switching from Mac or Windows.

i checked courses of linuxfoundation. They are really good but you should spend time on them. There is only one course just for introduction purpose on edx. You can find many books on it-ebooks site.

Also look at The Linux Documentation Project. There are many useful Howtos, and Guides such as:
  • Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
  • Bash Guide for Beginners
  • Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
  • GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary
  • The Linux System Administrators' Guide
  • And MANY, MANY more, online and PDF versions!
All at no charge! A very useful site for the beginner, advanced user, and everyone in between!

Members online

Latest posts