Blank screen even with Nvidia drivers

D

Desenski

Alrigth let me first off explain my setup and how it currently is. I have an i7 3770k cpu, and 2 GTX 970's connected with an SLI bridge (for when im gaming in Windows). I have 2 monitors. Currently one of them is plugged into the mobo, and the other is connected to the first GPU. When I boot up using the GPU as my primary video adapter, I get a couple lines of text for a brief moment, and then it goes blank. When I boot up using onboard graphics, everything works perfectly. I have used lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)" and it shows I have the nvidia drivers installed and in use. Yet I still can't see anything on the screen when I try to use it. I have spent the better part of 12 hours trying to fix this, only to cause other issues (mainly because im a linux newbie, but hey we all were at one time). Any help on how to fix this would be awesome. Id really rather not have to use onboard graphics whenever im using linux.

You do not say which distro of Linux you are using.

I maybe wrong, perhaps someone will correct me, but does a GPU card not switch off the on-board Graphics? I think you may be able to do one or the other but not both? You might need something like 2 GPU cards...

I'm sorry, I'm using Arch Linux. And yes, when a dedicated graphics card is plugged in it disables onboard graphics. I went into the mobo and forced it to use onboard graphics so I could see something and install Linux. Now that it's installed, I have tried switching the primary video adapter back to PCI-e (from onboard). Now when I boot, I see like 2 short lines of text for a brief moment and then nothing.

I'm sorry, I'm using Arch Linux. And yes, when a dedicated graphics card is plugged in it disables onboard graphics. I went into the mobo and forced it to use onboard graphics so I could see something and install Linux. Now that it's installed, I have tried switching the primary video adapter back to PCI-e (from onboard). Now when I boot, I see like 2 short lines of text for a brief moment and then nothing.
Have you enabled SLI in Xorg?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA#Enabling_SLI

And, for the sake of being absolutely clear, you did run
Code:
pacman -S nvidia
I just ask to be absolutely sure.

Yes I did run
Code:
sudo pacman -S nvidia
sudo pacman -S nvidia-libgl
however I am not sure if I enabled SLI in Xorg. I have reinstalled Arch so many times trying to figure stuff out (kept breaking different things) that I can't remember if I did on this install or not. I will try that and get back to you.

Alright so I think I found the issue. When I open xorg.conf There is nothing there. It's completely blank. And when I run the command to insert it
Code:
nvidia-xconfig --busid=PCI:1:00.0 --sli=AA
(using lspci | grep VGA shows that one of my GPU's is 01:00.0 and the other is 02:00.0) I get the warning "Unable to locate/open X configuration file." ," Unable to parse X,org version string." Error: "Unable to write to directory '/etc/X11'."

Running that in root created the X11 file. Then I go to restart (still using onboard graphics) and now I get a Xorg error (EE) no screens found. And when I boot in using the GPU, I still have nothing in the screen

Members online