Black screen problem Linux Lite

C

Crimson

I have Acer Aspire and I have some kind black screen problem after I open my laptop after suspended mode. Is there some kind fix for this? It go to login screen but after that black and I have to restart my laptop.

Yes some versions of LinuxBBQ do the same on my Dell D620. Would be interested in people's thoughts on this.

I have heard of screen backlight issues with some older Dell systems..

The problem in my case was corrected by installing a graphical gui login manager as LinuxBBQ installs are pretty basic and just rely on commandline login like Slackware.

Thanks Ryanvade the backlight issue makes sense. Had 2 Dells this one and a 500m with the same issue

I have a 10 year old Dell D630 - I used to have that black screen problem when I was running Ubuntu. It would come and go with updated versions.

The black screen can be from multiple events:
  • Sometimes YouTube would black the screen. I solved this by turning off hardware acceleration in my browser. I don't recall if this was flash or HTML5, but the browser setting fixed it.
  • Screen blanking from inactivity used to not recover. The screen would go black, but I could never get it back on again. I changed my settings years ago to never turn the screen off; I recently turned it back on, and it seems to be working. During that time, I switched from Ubuntu to Mint; maybe a driver was fixed by Cannonical?
  • Screen saver with none selected. I have done this in the past; coming off a screen saver, even with "something running" sometimes caused a problem. I have not used a screen saver in years.
Since Mint is Ubuntu based, I do not believe the issue was Ubuntu. I think since this is an old laptop, the support for "modern interfaces" was / is a bit sketchy. For the most part, this seems to have resolved itself, but I am still careful about thetypes of things listed above.

The amazing part is my 10 year old Dell with a Core-2 Duo runs well with Mint Cinnamon; I do have 4 GB of memory and a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive, but I also have MySQL and other utilities running as a development workstation. My display is just starting to have issues (off color lines that flicker near the bottom of the screen), otherwise I would not even be worried about finding a replacement.

Hi everyone,

I struggled with a similar issue in Debian 9, installed on a Lenovo G40-30 Laptop. I went into Hibernate/Sleep
and trying to initiate again the screen didn't show up although everything seemed working.

The solution is actually quite simple. It seems Linux OSs, in particular Debian and Ubuntu need at least
a 4+ GB swap partition for Hibernate/Sleep to work properly. If you installed with "default" configuration it
will create a Swap the same size of your actual RAM (in practice a little less). So if you have a laptop
with less or equal to 4 Gb RAM and installed "default" configuration, you are probably trying to solve this issue.

Swap allocation in Linux work in 2 ways:
- in the form of a SWAP PARTITION in your hardrive.
- in the form of a SWAP FILE.

CREATE SWAP FILE AS FOLLOWS:

sudo swapon --show # shows if you have enabled the swap option
# if not look up how to do this
sudo fallocate -l 1G /swapfile # sets the size of the swap you add to 1Gb
# change to the value you need
sudo chmod 600 /swapfile # sets the file to be owned by root
sudo mkswap /swapfile # mkswap tool to allocate swap in the file
sudo swapon /swapfile # activate the swap
sudo nano /etc/fstab # open the file to make changes permanent

# add the line to the file: /swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0

sudo swapon --show # show if its working
sudo free -h # show Memory and Swap
-------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU WANT TO UNDO CHANGES :

sudo swapoff -v /swapfile

# remove the line from /etc/fstab file: /swapfile swap swap defaults 0 0

sudo rm /swapfile # remove the swap file

-------------------------------------------------------

I can indicate the following table with some recommended
SWAP sizes according to your RAM. Last 3 columns are SWAP spaces:

Last edited:
I can indicate the following table with some recommended
SWAP sizes according to your RAM. Last 3 columns are SWAP spaces:

upload_2019-5-31_7-44-7.png

I have Acer Aspire and I have some kind black screen problem after I open my laptop after suspended mode. Is there some kind fix for this? It go to login screen but after that black and I have to restart my laptop.

More info might be helpful, like CPU make and model, RAM, disk info, is it a HDD or SSD? I keep reading about this on several forums being a recurring Linux issue. I solved it by disabling hibernating and suspending at all, so the machine will be on unless I turn it off.

Hope this helps! :)

More info might be helpful, like CPU make and model, RAM, disk info, is it a HDD or SSD? I keep reading about this on several forums being a recurring Linux issue. I solved it by disabling hibernating and suspending at all, so the machine will be on unless I turn it off.

Hope this helps! :)

Keep in mind that @Crimson's post is going on 4 years old, so he/she isn't likely to respond. :eek::D

(See the date and/or time below each post.)

Cheers

Staff online

Members online