Black screen after start menu

papa54

Reaction score
Credits
I bought new laptop with these general specs:

ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 UEFI: LENOVO v: R1AET34W (1.10 ) date: 12/19/2020
Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 4300U with Radeon Graphics R2 AMD Renoir vendor: Lenovo driver

other stuff but after 2 weeks downloading dozens of Linux OS and trying half a dozen USB Writers and cmd line dd scripts, I am still only able to get passed the start menu with LintMint19.3, Pop_OS and KDE neon. I have the fast boot off, secure boot disabled. I've used diskpart to clean USB between burns. Done the new partitions and format routines. For almost all, I've tried GUI, text mode, Failsafe mode, and lower graphics when available.

With the exception of the above distros, I normally get the boot or install menu, then after my selection the screen goes BLACK and never returns. Forcing a hard shutdown and restart. I have to believe my graphics card is not compatible with the Live or Install scripts at boot. Any help is very much appreciated.
thank you, dave

Try this

(from https://askubuntu.com/questions/38780/how-do-i-set-nomodeset-after-ive-already-installed-ubuntu/ )

To edit Grub2 during the boot process try the following:
  1. Immediately after the BIOS splash screen during boot, press and hold the SHIFT button. This will display you grub containing a list of kernels and recovery options
    enter image description here
  2. Press e to edit the first kernel displayed
    enter image description here
  3. Find the line ending with quiet splash. Add your boot option before these key words - i.e. so the line looks like [...]nomodeset quiet splash
  4. Press CTRL + X to boot
This will hopefully fix the black screen etc in the 'Live ' mode.....and if it does follow the link below to set the fix in place permanently

(Coldfish's answer)

Condobloke - I am grateful for your polite response. Holding the Shift key at boot doesn't get me to the grub kernels display for editing. I go straight into BIOS, which by the way looks nothing like the BIOS options pages I'm used to seeing. I then followed your link and did the nano script listed at #135, then reboot.

Unfortunately, Same boot menu and BLACK screen/freeze after I select LIVE or INSTALL.

PLS don't spend too much time on this as it's beer time here in Cambodia and this stranded 67 yr old needs more than a few.

cheers

We've got your back mate, someone here will know the way home (for your PC)

@wizardfromoz or @f33dm3bits may help shine some light on that for us

Have another beer.

Pop on over to Introductions and tell us your story, papa.

@papa54 I looked up your videocard and it is supported by the current kernels, also which distribution would you like to install? That way I can download that one and try to run it in a vm to try to see if I can come up with any ideas. I noticed that with Ubuntu you don't get a grub menu either but that you get a few options at the bottom after you select the language, then you can select F6 to set a specific option including nomodeset.

From the above link.
  • For Linux system booted using UEFI, for example, the latest Ubuntu 20.04, instead of using the shift key, press the Esc, when the system gets booted.
  • In a few seconds, the Grub menu will appear to select various options such as Advance and recovery.

Members online

Latest posts