Bizarre networking problem...

nyarcher

Reaction score
Credits
I have an industrial "Edge Box" running a distribution of Linaro that uses a setup file to configure the network settings. Letting the file setup the default gateway (10.10.10.1) doesn't work. There's no connection to the internet. If I delete the gateway manually and simply re-add it, it works:
ip route del default gw 10.10.10.1
ip route add default gw 10.10.10.1

The other thing that's weird is that I can add a second default gateway with no arguments from Linaro.

Does anyone have thoughts on what is going on?

Attachments

• Image (1).jpeg
    Image (1).jpeg
    813.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 221

Googling for "Edge Box" turns up this product. Is this what you have? If so, it isn't exactly Linux... it's a very customized Linux-based network appliance for data and VoIP phone service. Their FAQ page says you should not be attempting to use the Linux command line on their device:
Can I access the command line?
All configuration can be done through the easy-to-use edgeBOX management interface which is web-based and can be accessed through any Java enabled browser. It is possible to connect directly to the console to manage edgeBOX using a command line interface (CLI) but this is only done in rare cases by qualified edgeBOX support personnel

I would contact the company for further support. Good luck.

ip route del default gw 10.10.10.1
ip route add default gw 10.10.10.1

I have seen this under various circumstances.
1. You have dhcp running, it seems you have a 192.168.1.169 IP address.
2. You had a static IP on there before, and added another one to the same interface.
3. You have two interfaces, with a different gateway on each interface.

You're only supposed to have a single default gateway. That is why it's called "default". Requests go there if no other routes to reach the host are available. Check your configurations as to why it's adding more than one.

@dos2unix made a good point. You may have a DHCP server both assigning an IP address (and a default gateway) and configurating a static IP and assigning a static gateway thereby providing (2) default gateways.

Here are a couple of questions and requests to help resolve the issue.

Provide the output of both "ip route" and "ip addr" so we can see what networks are actually available and what routes are required. (both default gw and static routes)

You said you have a file that is used to configure the device. If that is a flat file (ie, text file), can you provide it? (minus any critical information that might be included in it)

You're only supposed to have a single default gateway.
Is it not possible that this device uses separate default gateways to segment its internet data traffic from its VoIP phone traffic, such as described in this older article?

But it also seems to be a bit of a strange company. For one, it is not using a SSL/TLS certificate for its website. That's kind of hard to imagine for a company these days... at least for a company wanting you to put trust in its networking products. And two, it seems strange to "sell you a copy" of their GPL covered source code. Really? :eek:

The GPL allows it, but it sure is sleazy, especially with bandwidth being as cheap as it is today.

And the no SSL is a huge red flag. They're free if you put just a little effort into it.

Is it not possible that this device uses separate default gateways to segment its internet data traffic from its VoIP phone traffic, such as described in this older article?

But it also seems to be a bit of a strange company. For one, it is not using a SSL/TLS certificate for its website. That's kind of hard to imagine for a company these days... at least for a company wanting you to put trust in its networking products. And two, it seems strange to "sell you a copy" of their GPL covered source code. Really? :eek:

For what its worth multiple default gateway are possible. You can have a floating route with a higher metric. If you loose access to one gateway the other can become available.

Also I see "SIOCADDRT: File exists" this system is some how trying to add the default gateway when it already exists. I read earlier this has GUI configuration with many appliances I have worked with GUI configuration will override anything you do, especially on boot. If you did work via the command line and it is in GUI configuration the machine is getting confused. I think earlier advice to use vendor recommended instructions to configure is a good idea. You may want to do a fresh reload of appliance OS and go from there.

Members online