bios appears greyed out

stringybark

Reaction score
Credits
Aspire3 will not allow me to make changes in bios not even to reset, it seems all greyed out! Help would be welcome, cheers.

G'day stringybark, Welcome to Linux.org

Where do you hail from ?

Glen Innes, NSW

There a few Aussies on here....all of the members here are a friendly bunch

Tell us your story, if you like....HERE

nice & hot up there ?

Doesn't sound like Linux problem but a general computer problem.

Have you had any luck?....

If no luck, please give us the full details of your Acer Aspire....model number etc

Also, which Linux you are using....eg Linux Mint 20.3..

Glen Innes, NSW

There a few Aussies on here....all of the members here are a friendly bunch

Tell us your story, if you like....HERE

nice & hot up there ?
Yes mate it's hot and humid at the moment, it's a bit like Forrest Gumps box of chocolates ''you never know what you're gunna get next!''

Have you had any luck?....

If no luck, please give us the full details of your Acer Aspire....model number etc

Also, which Linux you are using....eg Linux Mint 20.3..
No luck yet, but I'm working on it, thanks. I have had the battery out of it for about a year and it was all right but I go into bios all the time when I'm messing around with memory stick operating systems and about six weeks ago I changed something there but can't remember what, since then it is more grayed out than I am! Yesterday I ordered a new one from ebay, maybe when I hook it up it will it will reset the mother board. Otherwise the computer is working well on mains. Just thought I would try and pick a few brains here. Cheers. By the way I love the Rose Kennedy Quote!

Aspire A315-21G-96MI

Mint 20.3

Is the option to reset still visible in bios?....I am guessing not, but figured I should ask anyway.....

Any sense trying to enter bios after a hard shutdown?....try anything once !

Silly suggestion......boot to a usb stck ...doe the bios 'light up' there ?

Have tried all the above, no joy, thanks very much Condobloke for your suggestions, like you I'll try anything once, that's how I got into trouble, lol.

Your Admin password is blank. Set it to enable the options.

I'll note that this question remains unanswered. It seems like an appropriate thread to pull.

G'day @stringybark and welcome to linux.org, from another Aussie (based near Stanthorpe in SE Qld).

This link here

https://www.libble.eu/acer-aspire-3-a315-21/online-manual-827513/

has, in part, the following

Setting passwords
To set a password on boot, activate the BIOS utility, then select
Security from the categories listed on the left of the screen.
Find Set Supervisor Password and enter a password to enable this
feature. Once you have entered a password for this feature, you may
then enable/disable Password on Boot.
Remember to select F10 to properly save and exit the BIOS utility
when you are done making changes.

HTH (hope this helps)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

And.....from the other Aussie.....

Any chance you may get some joy by replacing the cmos battery??

(off topic:...were you really born on Anzac Day ??!!....Happy Birthday for a handful of days ago !!)

I figured you needed some more reading... https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043748

This one may be beneficial:
How to use USB BIOS FlashBack™?

Note:
The easiest way to update the BIOS is provided. You do not need to enter the BIOS screen of the motherboard or use the EZFlash software in the operating system to use the hardware functions of the motherboard to update the BIOS.
ETC....

(off topic:...were you really born on Anzac Day ??!!....Happy Birthday for a handful of days ago !!)

I figured you needed some more reading... https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043748

Note:
The easiest way to update the BIOS is provided. You do not need to enter the BIOS screen of the motherboard or use the EZFlash software in the operating system to use the hardware functions of the motherboard to update the BIOS.
ETC....

Note:
ETC....
Yes it is ANZAC Day Condo looks like I have much reading to do, thanks for the help and birthday wishes, cheers.
I'll open her up again and check the cmos battery.

Staff online

Members online