Better Ubuntu or mint?

Cargelonge

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone, i'm new to linux and i don't know what distribution it's better... I've read that the most popular distributions are Ubuntu and Mint, but which one is better for someone that is getting started with linux?

If you ask me, both are great for somebody who is starting out. Mint is based on Ubuntu anyway (which in turn, is based on Debian). The only real differences are the default desktop environment and the default set of software. Other than that, they are pretty much exactly the same.

After you have performed the initial install, both distros have pretty much the same range of software available to them. So if the software you want is not installed by default, you can add it later from the repos!

As for which one is better, or is "the best". That is entirely subjective. At the end of the day, the best one is the one that suits YOU the best. If you ask 10 different people here what the best distro is - you could easily get 10 completely different answers.

I would recommend trying the different versions of Mint and Ubuntu for yourself (e.g. Try Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint Mate, Mint Cinnamon, Mint Xfce) and see which runs best on your hardware and which you prefer. And while you're at it, perhaps take a look at any other distros you've heard about.

You can try Linux without having to install it by burning a .iso to a USB drive or a DVD and then boot your PC from it in live-mode. Which will not affect anything that is already installed on your PC.

So download some .iso's. Burn one of them to a USB thumbdrive. Give it a test-drive, then burn a different one, test-drive... Repeat the process until you've tried them all out and see for yourself which ones you like the best. Once you have picked your favourite - boot it up and install it!

Trust me - It really is worth taking the time and effort to explore some of the many options for yourself.

Good advice JasKinasis......

and to burn the .iso to a thumb drive....

Read (read it a few times.....it is not complicated...just a bit long)