Better linux OS for the post description pc specifications

Hewlett-Packard Motherboard Manufacturer; 0830h Product Name Motherboard; ; AMD Athlon(tm) processor Processor Name, NVIDIA Corporation C17 (GeForce MX IGP) (rev a3) integrated graphics, 1.16 RAM GB i386 compatible cpu. If i need an Intel Pentium III 1 GHz for running Salix OS GNU/Linux OS do my pc; can run it based in its specifications ?

Last edited:

Salix OS is stale thats because its based on Slackware . Slackware 15 just came out I don't know if they are going to update Salix OS or not. Slackware 15 I believe has a 32 bit version; but i agree with other posts best try it live from a USB

What happened to the first one with the Athlon CPU,? it had far better specification than a P3 even with the lightest builds of 32 bit Linux you will find it dreadfully slow

Salix OS is stale thats because its based on Slackware . Slackware 15 just came out I don't know if they are going to update Salix OS or not. Slackware 15 I believe has a 32 bit version; but i agree with other posts best try it live from a USB
i have inserted my pc specifications already

for everyone that hasn´t noticed i i have inserted my pc specifications already

i have inserted my pc specifications already
If we are talking about the Hewlett-Packard Motherboard Manufacturer; 0830h Product Name Motherboard; ; AMD Athlon,
I will reiterate what I have already said, It should be a 64 bit system and as such will run ANY of the lighter builds of 64 bit Linux [ to add. It is backwards compatible with 32 bit distributions, but that would be a waste of resources] no you cannot fit a P3 cpu into it as they have different pin configurations

Maybe give Linux Lite a spin on that HP.

Runs great on my 6 year old Sony 64-bit machine.

the AMD K5,

The K5 era was much earlier, as far as I know. 1996ish was when it was introduced. The K6-2 350 was later and a pretty sweet CPU for its day.

The K6-2 350 was later and a pretty sweet
oh yes, from a maintainace point of view, I always found them more reliable than the equivalent pentium

oh yes, from a maintainace point of view, I always found them more reliable than the equivalent pentium

I overclocked mine. It ran stable, albeit a bit warm, at a bit under 450 MHz.

Members online