Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

Best Windows Media Player equivalent for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Audio / Video' started by Tony Bergman, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Tony Bergman

Tony Bergman Guest

Hi all,
    Total newbie here, so please be gentle.
    I have recently discovered the wonders of Linux and am in the process of converting all the PC's in th house to Zorin OS9.

I have been also trying to find a good music player with the same features as WMP, such as being able to sort by album artist and ignoring the "the" in the artist name.

Dose such a creature exist?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
    Tony

2 people like this.
  2. Darren Hale

Darren Hale Guest

Audacious for audio. VLC for video. Also try Deadbeef simple and effective.

2 people like this.
  3. 1 person likes this.
  4. ryanvade

ryanvade Guest

I love clementine. Rhythmbox is good too...sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Guest

That is exactly it. I like Rhythmbox, but had problems getting it to burn CDs to .ogg files when I was running Ubunutu. Ever update seemed to break burning; I switched to Mint, and found another ripping software. I liked Rhythmbox, but could not rely on it. I could have downloaded source and fixed it, but with automatic updates, that seems like a lot of work to fix something that should not have been broken.

1 person likes this.
  6. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Though it's true that a dedicated Video/Audio Player(s) are better-suited for what they do, it's ALSO true that VLC is a rock-solid Program for playing MANY, MANY types of Files..... :3 I happen to use probably TOO many Media Players on GNU/Linux, and Windows, but among the first ones that I go to is VLC....... :)

7. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Yeah..... I wish they would fix it....... :( I suck too hard to do it myself.... :D

8. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Hello World!!..... :3 ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD!!!..... :)

9. Tony Bergman

Tony Bergman Guest

Thanks everyone for providing the info.
    I'll just experiment and see which suits me best.

Thanks again

10. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

No problem.....! :3 I hope you find what you're looking for in the world of FOSS.... :D