Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Windows Media Player equivalent for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux Audio / Video' started by Tony Bergman, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Tony Bergman

Tony Bergman Guest

Hi all,
    Total newbie here, so please be gentle.
    I have recently discovered the wonders of Linux and am in the process of converting all the PC's in th house to Zorin OS9.

I have been also trying to find a good music player with the same features as WMP, such as being able to sort by album artist and ignoring the "the" in the artist name.

Dose such a creature exist?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,
    Tony

2 people like this.
  2. Darren Hale

Darren Hale Guest

Audacious for audio. VLC for video. Also try Deadbeef simple and effective.

2 people like this.
  3. 1 person likes this.
  4. ryanvade

ryanvade Guest

I love clementine. Rhythmbox is good too...sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Guest

That is exactly it. I like Rhythmbox, but had problems getting it to burn CDs to .ogg files when I was running Ubunutu. Ever update seemed to break burning; I switched to Mint, and found another ripping software. I liked Rhythmbox, but could not rely on it. I could have downloaded source and fixed it, but with automatic updates, that seems like a lot of work to fix something that should not have been broken.

1 person likes this.
  6. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Though it's true that a dedicated Video/Audio Player(s) are better-suited for what they do, it's ALSO true that VLC is a rock-solid Program for playing MANY, MANY types of Files..... :3 I happen to use probably TOO many Media Players on GNU/Linux, and Windows, but among the first ones that I go to is VLC....... :)

7. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Yeah..... I wish they would fix it....... :( I suck too hard to do it myself.... :D

8. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Hello World!!..... :3 ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD!!!..... :)

9. Tony Bergman

Tony Bergman Guest

Thanks everyone for providing the info.
    I'll just experiment and see which suits me best.

Thanks again

10. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

No problem.....! :3 I hope you find what you're looking for in the world of FOSS.... :D