Best version for low end pc

PGSP

Reaction score
Credits
Best OS for low end pc with all features and for beginners? Specs: 4gb Ram, AMD R4 Graphics (512mb), 2.4 ghz processor
(I didn't atleast seen Linux OS before! Am an beginners , after this I am going to install Linux OS so please recommend best Linux OS for me)

Attachments

• IMG20221128202304.jpg
    IMG20221128202304.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 280
Last edited:

Out of the one's you listed Debian would be the best for low end pc. With xfce desktop

But you should have listed Lubuntu, Puppy, AntiX, LXDE There are many low resource Distros that work better than the one's listed.

Out of the one's you listed Debian would be the best for low end pc. With xfce desktop

But you should have listed Lubuntu, Puppy, AntiX, LXDE There are many low resource Distros that work better than the one's listed.
Thanks

don't forget Slax and EasyOS

I might add that I do not recommend Kali for newbie ops. You should have at least a few years experience in linux to run that one. An often overlooked distro that is fairly light weight on resources is Bhodi. Found here:

Last edited:
I might add that I do not recommend Kali for newbie ops. You should have at least a few years experience in linux ot run that one. An often overlooked distro that is fairly light weight on resources is Bohdi. Found here:
Is that user friendly to beginners?

Not bad, with any Linux there is a learning curve.
You may find this page of interest also

start with the getting started page.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for your response thank you very very very very very very very very much

Too many Debian distros to list.
antiX is at the top for old computers, in my book.

BTW, I am just using windoze because I have to, at this point. Otherwise I would not

EasyOS first.
Then dual boot with MX later ... :p if you feel the need.
For me (a forever newbie) Easy is the Yin (difficult to add apps, if you are new at it), coupled
with the Yang MX ( extremely easy to add apps) is a match made in heaven.
To dual boot Easy with another OS is also ... easy, but it take some time to get use to the weird Limine boot loader.
The big plus of Easy for me is the ready made container for which I never could master. I don't know why, because I dabbed in qemu, virtualbox ... which took the toll on my aging brain but I managed somehow in the end, but LXC, LXD, Docker ... never.
Good luck.

I do not recommend, only YOU can choose by running a few live from a pendrive.

OK so you have a 2012 machine with the A4 muticore-64bit processor, this is enough to run any of the 500 or so available distributions, if you go for a mid-weight or light-weight it will be marginally faster. Yes it should be USB bootable, it will have a BIOS not UEFI you may need to select legacy mode if offered on installing, we do not know which graphic chipset, assuming its AMD or intel it will be ok, likewise if you're running from Wi-Fi again depending on whose chipset, may cause minor problems

Last edited:
Point is as has been stated many times there is no "best" distro - trying different distros and different desktops live is the way to go because your machine is different to anyone elses

antiX and MX are brothers -- one is lighter and quicker and one is prettier and fatter, respectively.
PCLOS deserves a look, too, IMO.

Members online