Best Ubuntu Based Distribution/DE for Dell Touch Screen

Della

Reaction score
Credits
I will be getting a new Dell XPS 15 notebook with 15.6" UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch and 11th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i9. Having never used a touch screen on Laptops before, I am trying to figure out which popular Debian/Ubuntu derivative works best with touch, and if anyone has experience with this specific Dell equipment.

Before knowing it is a touch screen, I was considering Feren OS latest version, but then somehow was led to believe it is not the most stable with touch displays. I want Ubuntu based distributions, but not a big fan of Ubuntu Desktop itself somehow, even though can bite it if no other option.

So any suggestion from more experienced distro hoppers about environments that work well with this display, with a big enough user base for support? Looking at fairly mainstream ones such as Elementary to Pop etc. Also, two questions

1. Will the drivers and all necessary set ups for the screen be part of the regular installation procedure or does it require vendor (Dell) specific set up?
  2. Is the touch supposed to work in a live USB trial just like post installation, so that I can experience?

Hi
most recent Ubutu based distro's include touchscreen drivers and yes they will work on the live pre- installation trial, HOWEVER there are usually some problems to overcome on the latest equipment due to the need for more up to date drivers than are not always available,
My suggestion is you look for a distribution which has the Linux 5.10 Kernel [or later] or extended hardware support one that springs to mind is MX-19.4.1_x64 “ahs” but there are others

edit.. MX is Debian based much will depend on what style of desktop you wish to use this may give you some ideas.. https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-linux-desktop-touch-enabled-monitor/

Bwiz

Last edited:
Linux Mint also comes to mind They offer the 5.11 kernel for install via the update manager and it should work with your new hardware. Though I have had no experience with the touch screen software so can't speak to how well it works.

Members online

Latest posts