Best OS for Notebook ?

A

achillius

I have Sony Vaio Notebook with AMD E2-2000 1.75 GH
RAM 4 GB
Screen 11.6.
what's the OS for me in terms of performance and battery consumption ?
The battery isn't lasting for long time
20131124_234330.jpg

Sorry for the extensive delay. Many users may agree that either one of these are excellent recommendations -

Ubuntu
Fedora
CentOS
Linux Mint

Поддерживаю совет Angelbrown Лека убунту

Hey, I'll seize this precious moment of necromancy to feed AMD APU users some info.

I have switched to Ubuntu for its so-called reliability, expecting a solid production environment, but I must say I deeply regret my choice...

And I'm using near top-tier AMD APUs (A-series).

I'll spend part of my holidays picking a new Linux distribution for my laptops but I somewhat doubt it won't turn out to be along the lines of Arch or Slackware-based.

If anything go for Xubuntu. It's fully featured however lightweight - it'll go easier and smoother on your machine.

Regardless, as an APU-powered notebook user I must warn you that *buntu tends to starve user oriented processes when heavy swapping begins (90%+ RAM usage)... As in even keyboard and mouse pointer hangs or total system hangs demanding a hard shutdown. I've been there countless times with 2 resourceful APU laptops.

It's very important also the desktop environment. I suggest to use XFCE, it's really stable, powerful and simple. It uses just a small part of memory (~300MB) and you can replace some components to make it better. A nice improvement is to use compiz as windows compositor.

I have put Deepin on 2 of my customers laptops and 3 of my own, lncluding a sony VAIO that is about 5 years
old, have had great results. If you go to Distrowatch it is easy to find. I was really tired of all the problems with windows, it was great to leave microsoft behind!

I have Sony Vaio Notebook with AMD E2-2000 1.75 GH
RAM 4 GB
Screen 11.6.
what's the OS for me in terms of performance and battery consumption ?
The battery isn't lasting for long timeView attachment 667
I suggest MX-16. Everything will work on your first boot up. What ever you do, don't try to put Manjaro on your Laptop unless you enjoy fixing issues that the Manjaro team likes to ignore.

Staff online

Members online