Best linux version for Nvidia Geforce 710m?

deus39

Reaction score
Credits
Hi! I have a Packard Bell laptop, EasyNote TE11HC, the version with Nvidia GeForce 710m 2gb vram.

My question is, what linux version is best for this laptop, it has 6GB ram, a 480GB SSD and a dual core CPU.

I tried Ubuntu, but I can't find drivers for the Nvidia graphics card for it. I play some minecraft and diablo 3 once in awhile.

I don't know which linux version can install drivers for my graphics card. I know it's a old model, but I still hope I will find a linux version to support it.

This machine runs windows 8.1 smooth, windows 10 good, not smooth and I want to try Linux.

I am not a pro user, but I know how to find and follow instructions from the web when something doesn't work, but in the latest version of Ubuntu I just can't find proper drivers for this graphics card...

Thank you.

Hell @deus39 ,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forums.

Most likely POPOS it has a specific version for Nvidia cards. Next choice would be Manjaro believe they load nvidia drivers also.
PopOS here POP
Manjaro here Manjaro

on Ubuntu just use the Software & Updates and click on the Additional Drivers tab it will look for the correct drivers
1.png

I run an Asus GeForce GT 710 2GB passive-cooler in an HP Pavilion desktop. I know for a fact that the newest Nvidia drivers no longer support the Kepler-gen GK208B; the most recent version I use is 450.57.

Wish I could help with installing this from a mainstream distro, but I can't. In Puppy, we download the Nvidia .run files, and compile the things directly in-situ, thanks to one of our Japanese members building a GUI installer, some years ago. Which makes it pretty simple.

Unless you compile your own in a mainstream distro, you have to rely on someone else building a package & adding it to the repos....

-------------------------------------------

One thought. Zorin OS is worth looking at; their Nvidia detection routine during install is first-class. It's the only OS apart from Puppy I've ever bothered with over the last 8 1/2 years; I usually keep an external install on a USB 3.0 HDD. It's Ubuntu-based, so you should feel right at home with it.

Mike. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Staff online