Best Linux Solutions for P.C.'s

V

Vigilant_Mr_Doe

Hiya,

I believe that Ubuntu isn't the right choice, since it has caused multiple computers to overheat, each time I tried installing it; I had used professionally written instructions. Also, the only explanation to overheating issues in Ubuntu's help window states that -Users need more cooling fans. This is sheer ignorance, since the code of Ubuntu probably has something to do with this intermittent and incessant issue among the Ubuntu community. Also, Ubuntu software center sells software for a dollar price, I've read that it's illegal to distribute Ubuntu. I think that Ubuntu has strayed from what is candid GNU copyleft.

What would be the best Linux OS for someone who's worst fear is privacy issues and computer overheating. I've come to believe that viruses and software crashes make up a large portion of computer death. Viruses and bad applications cause CPU's to overheat, I've heard from programmers that programs, such as virus, can actually destroy a CPU permanently.

I would like to find a version of GNU/Linux that's truly GNU copyleft and easy to use, compatible with software, and doesn't cause overheating to computer. Ironically, I think the first thing a OS should have is a program to monitor CPU clock speed and occlude the possibility of overclocking.

Welcome to the forums. What machines are you installing it on as details do matter so we can assist you better.

The GNU Public Licence allows for you to sell Linux as long as you follow it's guidelines.

"
Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money? (#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney)
Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

Link:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesAllGNUSoftwareUseTheGNUGPLAsItsLicense

Hiya,

I believe that Ubuntu isn't the right choice, since it has caused multiple computers to overheat, each time I tried installing it; I had used professionally written instructions. Also, the only explanation to overheating issues in Ubuntu's help window states that -Users need more cooling fans. This is sheer ignorance, since the code of Ubuntu probably has something to do with this intermittent and incessant issue among the Ubuntu community.
ubuntu is a Linux distribution, so if your hardware is overheating on ubuntu it will overheat on some other distribution with the same kernel version, same software installed and same configuration. I'm no fan of ubuntu, but if you're going to make such claims, you should do a little research first.

Also, Ubuntu software center sells software for a dollar price, I've read that it's illegal to distribute Ubuntu. I think that Ubuntu has strayed from what is candid GNU copyleft.
Just how this is relevant to overheating hardware, is anyone's guess. Software center is like google's android selling you apps... you don't pay for ubuntu, you pay for some other crap sold through software center. If you don't like that, you have the option to not install anything via software-center or just not use ubuntu.

What would be the best Linux OS for someone who's worst fear is privacy issues and computer overheating. I've come to believe that viruses and software crashes make up a large portion of computer death. Viruses and bad applications cause CPU's to overheat, I've heard from programmers that programs, such as virus, can actually destroy a CPU permanently.
Privacy comes from best practices not from the OS. The OS can only do so much, if you value privacy, then read up on it, learn about it and apply it.

The overheating could be for numerous reasons, you would need to research on your specific hardware.
I would like to find a version of GNU/Linux that's truly GNU copyleft and easy to use, compatible with software, and doesn't cause overheating to computer. Ironically, I think the first thing a OS should have is a program to monitor CPU clock speed and occlude the possibility of overclocking.
If you want fully GPL/copyleft compliant your choices are very limited. In fact you will have to do without a display server (and probably a lot of other software) as X.org is not released under a copyleft licence (so command line only - on the plus side that should significantly reduce system load and keep temps low...). I cannot recommend any of the distributions at gnu.org having never tried any of them, but heard good things about dragora.

If however you want a distribution which is interested in keeping proprietary and FLOSS software separate, then Debian might be an idea. Debian even remove the proprietary firmware/microcode from the Linux kernel.

Hiya,

I believe that Ubuntu isn't the right choice, since it has caused multiple computers to overheat, each time I tried installing it; I had used professionally written instructions. Also, the only explanation to overheating issues in Ubuntu's help window states that -Users need more cooling fans. This is sheer ignorance, since the code of Ubuntu probably has something to do with this intermittent and incessant issue among the Ubuntu community. Also, Ubuntu software center sells software for a dollar price, I've read that it's illegal to distribute Ubuntu. I think that Ubuntu has strayed from what is candid GNU copyleft.

The problem is that Ubuntu does not mess with CPU frequencies which in most cases causes overheating issues. If you lower the clock frequency based on the load of the system it will help. I use Inte's thermald which does this. Tweaking the Disk spinup can help some also.

The problem is that Ubuntu does not mess with CPU frequencies which in most cases causes overheating issues. If you lower the clock frequency based on the load of the system it will help. I use Inte's thermald which does this. Tweaking the Disk spinup can help some also.

I've tried installing Ubuntu on several different computers, and all of them began to break shortly after, as well as overheat. Overheating of course destroys computers. I read about a program called Jupiter, but this program has to be installed after running ubuntu, which means that your hardware would have already overheated. Tell me, does "Thermald" work on AMD processors?

I've read on a different post that Ubuntu has serious privacy issues, much like Google after G. W. made the Patriot Act. Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure. I suspect that Linux may not run well on factory made computers, since I know of no way to adjust the clock speed. To my understanding, custom made P.C.'s can easily adjust their clock settings before installing any O.S..

So can you tell me what is great about Triquel? I appreciate your service very much. Windows has a little setting button that can change the CPU speed, or atleast this button was on it at one point in time.
mostly, I want a OS Linux that is easy to run, but also I want lots of community and freeware. Can you compare trisquel to MInt, FreeBSD and Debian? I would like to find Linux that has good privacy, freeware, WINE, easy installation, and overall easy to use interface.

I would like to find some good art software for Linux.

Richard Stallman has made this distro officially one of the distros endorsed by the FSF. It is fairly small has no propriety binary blobs. It is based on Ubuntu with a Libre-kernel.

Installation is easy. It features a working Gnash instead of Flash.

Compared to Debian it is far more pure with regards to being free of Proprietary code. Wine is as easy as installing from Synaptic.

Richard Stallman has made this distro officially one of the distros endorsed by the FSF. It is fairly small has no propriety binary blobs. It is based on Ubuntu with a Libre-kernel.

Installation is easy. It features a working Gnash instead of Flash.

Compared to Debian it is far more pure with regards to being free of Proprietary code. Wine is as easy as installing from Synaptic.

Oh, I see. Debian has an auto partition on installation, which is good for those of us that aren't experts. It sounds like Trisquel is a decent O.S.. It's hard to say which is the best before you try them out. I'm mostly afraid of overheating issues and also eavesdropping software, that watches your every move subliminally on your CPU. I've heard some bad things about Ubuntu and privacy, but also read and experienced its tendency to overheat.

Shouldn't find any eavesdropping software in it the Kernel is clean of any of that. Yes trial by live medium is the best way to test it.

Oh, I see. Debian has an auto partition on installation, which is good for those of us that aren't experts. It sounds like Trisquel is a decent O.S.. It's hard to say which is the best before you try them out. I'm mostly afraid of overheating issues and also eavesdropping software, that watches your every move subliminally on your CPU. I've heard some bad things about Ubuntu and privacy, but also read and experienced its tendency to overheat.
Debian also has a manual partitioning option on installation. Debian can be convenient for newbies, or as customizable for more experienced users. I only use Debian for Laptops, Desktops, and Servers.

Debian also has a manual partitioning option on installation. Debian can be convenient for newbies, or as customizable for more experienced users. I only use Debian for Laptops, Desktops, and Servers.

Even in Debian's manual install, they have a "guided" install option to help with partitioning. I downloaded and installed quite a few distros in VMs until I decided on which one I wanted to install. To practice partitioning, I always did manual install, and Debian by far is the easiest manual install I have done. Easier than Mint!

Debian is very nice a good OS to really "learn" Linux (it makes you work for it) but I'm right now sold on Fedora 21. My GNOME 3 desktop has never run smoother and faster. Just my 2 cents.

Don't forget, take into consideration the operating environment your exposing your system to. In the summer, your system will heat up faster unless you're running the AC in your room to keep it cool. If you're just trying to keep cool with just the windows open and a fan, your system is taking in that air along with it.

Members online