Best Linux Hardware

A

Adam Thompson

if i was to build a computer, what would the ultimate (open source) Linux supported desktop contain? can someone contain a parts list of the best hardware for linux?

"Best" is a subjective term. What is best for you might not be best for me.

What do you want to use the computer for? Gaming? Day-today use?

What is your budget?

Is this real or hypothetical?

i do a wide range of stuff from programming, animation, graphics design, to gaming. needs to really work well. budget is $1200CAD

I know this will cause some heads to collide but, Intel has some of the best Linux support out there. Just sayin. As for graphics, anyones guess. Nvidia drivers are not open source but tend to be easier to install. (tend to not always). Ati drivers are opensource but CAN be harder to install. Nvidia TENDS to have better gaming performance but lacks in general usage. (For example, openGL/CL for KDE dekstop runs faster on ATI cards) Both have ADEQUATE Linux support, but more would be nice. Mobos...MSI,Asus, Gigabyte, and Intel all seem to be fine. Network cards...I personally like Intel but some Netgear and maybe D-Link. Sound cards are hard to predict. Normally the Mobo sound is just fine. Especially now with standard Mobos with 7.1 surround.. Ram is very generic..Hard drives..Western Digital HDD, and Intel SSDs are tops for quality. Crucial SSDs are lowprice/lots more space but lack the higher quality and speed. Intel's biggest SSD is 500Gb I think while Crucial's is 960 Gb...

Remember that this is all OPINION. I cannot back most of this up with facts..just experience. The facts are inconclusive in most categories... If you want pre-made computers with Linux consider system76 and Dell (http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/dell/dellxps). PengPod will have a new tablet this month if you are looking for a tablet also...

I know this will cause some heads to collide but, Intel has some of the best Linux support out there. Just sayin. As for graphics, anyones guess. Nvidia drivers are not open source but tend to be easier to install. (tend to not always). Ati drivers are opensource but CAN be harder to install. Nvidia TENDS to have better gaming performance but lacks in general usage. (For example, openGL/CL for KDE dekstop runs faster on ATI cards) Both have ADEQUATE Linux support, but more would be nice. Mobos...MSI,Asus, Gigabyte, and Intel all seem to be fine. Network cards...I personally like Intel but some Netgear and maybe D-Link. Sound cards are hard to predict. Normally the Mobo sound is just fine. Especially now with standard Mobos with 7.1 surround.. Ram is very generic..Hard drives..Western Digital HDD, and Intel SSDs are tops for quality. Crucial SSDs are lowprice/lots more space but lack the higher quality and speed. Intel's biggest SSD is 500Gb I think while Crucial's is 960 Gb...

Remember that this is all OPINION. I cannot back most of this up with facts..just experience. The facts are inconclusive in most categories... If you want pre-made computers with Linux consider system76 and Dell (http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/dell/dellxps). PengPod will have a new tablet this month if you are looking for a tablet also...
So pretty much, i should get intel parts?

well i have been running ubuntu 12.04 LTS on an AMD machine for a while now, so i know at least that my AMD athlon II CPU and AMD vision GPU work, but i havent tested any recent chips. i do know for a fact that intel is great for support (at least in CPU's), and they are so far the most powerful competitor in CPU's, but other than that, nothing. i also hear nvidia GPU's are fast, but not well supported

For the sake of argument, can you say why? I am really curious about these things...

In my opinion, AMD software seems to execute faster. Intel-compiled applications seem to lock-up or freeze. However, Intel Macs are an exception (I will discuss that in a second). Plus, in many (but not all) stores I go to (on-line and physically) the AMD hardware is usually less expensive. It also seems like there is more support for AMD than Intel (although I may be wrong).

I have only used Intel Macs as far as Apple devices are concerned, so I cannot compare Intel Macs to PowerPC Macs, but Intel Macs appear to perform better than Intel PC computers. I have never had a Mac lock-up, freeze, or crash. However, on Macs, I have only used Safari while on other operating systems and hardware, I have used a variety of software.

Members online

Latest posts