Best linux for old laptop?

Well I got ArchBang installed on my desktop! When I got the error last night I thing I selected the swap partition as the root.

It booted fairly quick on my desktop all though the desktop does have far better specs than the old laptop. lol

So far I like archbang. it is almost like CrunchBang but you have more control of the os.

Thanks for all the help. Im sure as I play around with AB more I will have questions at some point.

Thanks,
Mikey

Well I got ArchBang installed on my desktop! When I got the error last night I thing I selected the swap partition as the root.

It booted fairly quick on my desktop all though the desktop does have far better specs than the old laptop. lol

So far I like archbang. it is almost like CrunchBang but you have more control of the os.

Thanks for all the help. Im sure as I play around with AB more I will have questions at some point.

Thanks,
Mikey
Nice Mikey

Hope you have found your home distro.

It's going to take me time getting use to doing ever thing though terminal. Is there a package manner I can install with gui? If so how.

It's going to take me time getting use to doing ever thing though terminal. Is there a package manner I can install with gui? If so how.

No, not by default.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.ph...i.archlinux.org/index.php/Common_Applications
From terminal CLI:
pacman is your package manager and is pretty simple to use.
pacman --help (example)
pacman -R --help (example)
pacman -S package to install
pacman -R package to remove
If you download from the AUR, extract the tarball and from the directory in terminal:
makepkg -csi (to build and install pkg)
checkupdates (check for updates)
pacman -Syu (update and upgrade system)

Arch is not for everyone but simple to use once you know it. Learn the basics before using addons that automate your tasks. @Yesyesloud , Yesyesloud has used more pacman addons from t
he AUR to automate things then I have, but I would stick to the basics for now.

If you want all that GUI stuff run Ubuntu and you'll learn Ubuntu. If you want to learn Linux better run Arch and you will learn Linux better. --My opinion

My bet:

lubuntu

System Requirements
A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM

or

ARCH with this 'frankie' : sourceforge dot net/projects/evolutionlinux/

The great thing about Linux is that its ur choice.t Not everyone runs arch and I dont care. Run what u want, but make it your choice and no ones elsees. you're not running Arch anyway Once you tell me u want too I will give u step by step instructions how too...

Nope...IF U WANNA LEARN PENGUIN BETTER RUN Gentoo !!!
Its better to give the person the option...Its not in their interest to learn what you or I recommend. but its in my interest to consider you an ass blackhole for in the universe.

If you're looking for a good GUI for both pacman and yaourt, install PacmanXG, it's pretty simple yet a great package manager.

Staff online

Members online