Best linux books to understand what I'm doing on command line on linux?

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
I started using Ubuntu since 1 month.
Problem is that I'm just copying commands from others and pasting it.
I'm memorizing them, noting them down rather than trying to understand the command in each detail.

Trying to decode each command letter by letter probably won't be much effective as a beginner. Instead getting the big picture could be helpful.
So, please can you recommend some books for my purpose?

These are the books I've googled:
1) The linux bible
2) UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook
3) Unix Power Tools
4) Design of the Unix Operating System

I want to stress that it's just for normal usage. I'm not trying to get linux jobs.
I probably need a full blown syllabus to get started with linux but to use it casually not serious. So, please share that.

Last edited:

Here are some others to add to your list.
You may also want to consider these at this price you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
@kc1di What should I learn? Like the contents to get started understanding linux? I'm not understanding that.

Go to this web page and start at the beginning You can work at your own pace. and you will learn all you need for casual usage.
Other than that the best way to learn Linux is by doing, Install a distro (See first Lesson) and use it. It's not that difficult and you will learn as you go. If you don't want to install it most major distros have live sessions that can be run without changing anything on your computer. Only problem is your work will not be saved when you reboot with most of them
The choice of Distro can be daunting to a new user so my suggestion is that you try a few live, see what works best for you and your Machine. Enjoy the challenge and learning and don't worry overly about it.

1) The linux bible

This is what I generally recommend to folks. I did get the most recent version, but haven't read it all yet. I have a couple of the older versions. It's a great resource.

There’s a good bundle of Linux ebooks on humblebundle.com at the moment too:

All titles by No Starch Press. 21 ebooks worth £700, for £34ish. Absolute bargain!

I did it like this :

1)Learn Linux Quickly
2)Linux Basics for Hackers
3)Linux Bible
4)Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook

+ Udemy courses and YT

I started using Ubuntu since 1 month.
Problem is that I'm just copying commands from others and pasting it.
I'm memorizing them, noting them down rather than trying to understand the command in each detail.

Trying to decode each command letter by letter probably won't be much effective as a beginner. Instead getting the big picture could be helpful.
So, please can you recommend some books for my purpose?

These are the books I've googled:
1) The linux bible
2) UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook
3) Unix Power Tools
4) Design of the Unix Operating System

I want to stress that it's just for normal usage. I'm not trying to get linux jobs.
I probably need a full blown syllabus to get started with linux but to use it casually not serious. So, please share that.
The linux command line bible is very much geared towards beginners, but if want to do system administration, you should figure out what that means first. None of those books are very impressive, and they become outdated pretty quickly.

Members online