Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Follow us on twitter - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages. https://twitter.com/linuxdotorg
    Dismiss Notice

Best Distro For Replacing Winodows Server 2016

Discussion in 'General Server' started by Veryangrymonk, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Veryangrymonk

Veryangrymonk New Member

Greetings,

I am running a home server mainly for testing and media storage purposes.

My current hardware is a supermicro with Hyper-V Manager Server 2019 OS. I got 2 VMs running Evaluation copies of Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. One VM for DC and other for File share.

I have now grow accustomed to having the control over my network using a domain and having a shared drive. Since paying for Windows is not something in my budget I was hoping I could use an equivelnt linux distro. I work in IT, however most my knowledge is with Windows OS. The only linux experiance I have is with Mint Cinnamon.

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

For the last couple days I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 with the GUI and played around with Samba commands.

My questions are what:

What would be a good Linux Disto replacement for Windows Server 2016?

What technology does Linux use to run a Domain? DNS? Does it use AD services similar to windows? Is there any good rescources out there to find out this information?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

I should also mention that I currently have 3-4 workstation running windows 10 and Mac OS

2. arochester

arochester Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter