Best distro for MTP support

F

Fiksdal

Hi

I have been using Ubuntu derivatives for years, and astoundingly, in the latest versions, there is an ugly bug messing up Multimedia Transfer Protocol connectivity.

Because of this, I can't connect my Android smartphone to the computer using the cable.

Is there any other similar distro which does MTP smoothly? I'd be especially interested in a noob-friendly distro (such as Mint.)

If the problem is only with newer versions of *buntu derived distros, perhaps try a Long Term Support (LTS) version of one of the *buntu's instead. - 14.04 is the current LTS release. Or perhaps try Debian.

I'm currently using Kubuntu 14.04LTS. Connection to devices via MTP doesn't seem to be a problem at all for me. I also have an older laptop running Debian8 (using the 'testing' repos rather than 'stable'), which appears to have no problems with MTP either.

With any luck, by the time the next LTS release comes out, the MTP bug will be well and truly fixed!

Yeah I'm on 14.04 LTE. Standard Ubuntu. There's a long bug thread on it in launchpad. I think it may not apply to all MTP devices .

Oh right..... In that case, perhaps I am just lucky! :/

I've used Linux Mint and Android phones exclusively for many years and never had a problem connecting them by cable. But it is a little funny... when it is first connected, it appears on the desktop as "Verizon Mobile". I need to wait about 30 seconds and the icon changes to "Samsung Android" and then it is accessible like a flash drive.

If you want to try Mint, load up a Live DVD and see if this works for you too.

Cheers!

I've used Linux Mint and Android phones exclusively for many years and never had a problem connecting them by cable. But it is a little funny... when it is first connected, it appears on the desktop as "Verizon Mobile". I need to wait about 30 seconds and the icon changes to "Samsung Android" and then it is accessible like a flash drive.

If you want to try Mint, load up a Live DVD and see if this works for you too.

Cheers!
Cool, thanks for the input on Mint!

MTP actually works for me now too on 14.04. I don't know why. This is the first time I'm seeing it working in many months. I don't know if it was an update or whatever that did it, but it works now :)

WTF, now it stopped working again. I wonder what's causing this. I better try some other distro.

Hi,

Do you want to connect to your SD card or you want to use your Android device that doesn't have it?

When I simply plug in my Blackberry, I can click and mount its SD card using gvfs; I don't need MTP for this.

Cheers

Hi,

Do you want to connect to your SD card or you want to use your Android device that doesn't have it?

When I simply plug in my Blackberry, I can click and mount its SD card using gvfs; I don't need MTP for this.

Cheers
My Samsung I9305 does only MTP by default.

There is an app requiring root that toggles Mass Storage Mode, but when I used it in the past I found it to be very unstable. Also, it unmounts the SD-card from the phone. Also, you can't enable MSM for for the internal SD-card either.

Members online