Best Distro for Laptop?

guys I am a new to linux can you please advice me regarding linux installation ,should I install it on my Mac air with dual boot, or Asus windows notebook same specs or usb install and which distro to start with

guys I am a new to linux can you please advice me regarding linux installation ,should I install it on my Mac air with dual boot, or Asus windows notebook same specs or usb install and which distro to start with
Hi Rocky, sorry to say this but there is no real answer to your question. This is because each user is different. There are literally hundreds of versions of Linux out there, free to test or try out.

The best answer to your question is for you to download as many versions of Linux that interest you. Burn them to a bootable USB or DVD and test them that way. No need to install until you decide which YOU like best. A good place to start and read up on all the different versions is distrowatch.org. Once you have made a decision you can start a new thread about dual booting with that version, and we can help you set that up.

My old Compac Presario V5101US runs mint just fine. I upgraded the ram to the max (1GB) before I tried it from a USB thumb drive. No issues noted.:)

Happy Trails
Paul
Update, I flushed Win XP and now have Mint Cinnamon installed on the hard drive.:D Seems to run just fine. I had tried to load Slackware 14.2, but the Hardware just would not complete the install:(:(. Oh well, at least i got rid of XP:D:D.
Happy Trails,
Paul

We'll make a Spice Lover of you yet, Paul? :D

Wiz

I'm no expert, in fact I'm new to this OS. But, I followed this>>>> link<<<<< and I'm now using Mint with Windows 10/Linux dual boot. Flawless on an Asus K53E with 8 gigs of ram.

Currently, I'm running Ubuntu on VMware on an ASUS S400C on Windows 10. I'm finding it sluggish and hard to do work on it. I'd like to remove Windows and have Linux as the sole OS on the ASUS laptop. My question is, which is the best distro to run on the ASUS laptop? I'd like to keep as many of its features as possible, including the touchscreen. An alternative would be to get a secondhand laptop and install Linux on that one instead. Which laptop brand, if any, works best with Linux, preferably Ubuntu, but I'm not fixed on it. I could go with Mint, Debian, or any other. Thanks in advanced for your comments.

Format your hardisk than try some distro, under distrowatch can see more end more. Visit each webpage to know the requirement.

Members online