Bad File Issue

dewdog84

Reaction score
Credits
Hi - I have an HP x360 14 Chromebook. It has Chrome version 79 - I've enable Linux (beta). In the process of installing and updating, I tried to install Lutris. I made a spelling mistake during the installation and now there is a corrupt zero byte file (lutris.liet) in the /etc/apt/sources.list (sources.list.d?). I can't seem to remove it - tried rm, chmod from root to dewdog84 and chown to 777. I can't seem to get to root privilege as I don't remember setting a password (pretty sure I didn't and don't know what the default might be). Is there a way to either get the root password or use another type of sudo command to remove the file. Any 'sudo apt update' throws this error:

E: Malformed entry 3 in list file /etc/apt/source.list.d/ (Component)
N: Ignoring file 'lutris.liet' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
E: The list of sources could not be read

Any help? Many thanks :)

Linux (beta)??? Which distro are you using and which Desktop Manager?

Try AS ROOT
Code:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

BE CAREFUL! Nano can be destructive if you don't use it correctly.

Linux (beta)??? Which distro are you using and which Desktop Manager?

Try AS ROOT
Code:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

BE CAREFUL! Nano can be destructive if you don't use it correctly.

Gnome was automatically installed when I 'turned on' Linux. The Google Chrome version is 79

dewdog84: you are using Chrome OS correct?

The root password is either the same as the first account created or is randomly generated. The first user account should have sudo privileges and should be able to run anything like root can.

1. create a file newsourcelist.txt
2. sudo cat /etc/apt/source.list.d
3. copy the the wanted text from output and paste into newsourcelist.txt
4. sudo cat newsourcelist.txt > /etc/apt/source.list.d

The last command should overwrite source.list.d with the your edited version from newsourcelist.txt.

Members online