Backup software

abejarano

Reaction score
Credits
Thank you,

Need backup software for Ubuntu 22.04 desktop. Something that can schedule or be crontab-ed, that saves and restores partitions, and does incremental backups, and is appropriate for a desktop instead of a server. Is there something open source and free (or not) that fits?

Take a look at timeshift... it works really well if you use btfs, this is what I use as a backup of my fedora install. I also tested restores from snapshots, and it works great. With timeshift, you set a schedule and forget it. In the background, it will run when scheduled.

Please use the Search function , there are several threads concerning backup methods.

Maybe we should have a sticky on this subject because beginners seem to be lost on the best back-up solutions...so they can take their pick.
confused0024.gif

When I first switched to Linux there were plenty of back-up tools but many sucked because I wanted to back-up everything on the Drive and the only thing was clonezilla.
sad0012.gif

Time Shift is a real gem when things don't go well.
Worked great for me when an upgrade on Linux Mint 19.3 failed.

Maybe we should have a sticky on this subject because beginners seem to be lost on the best back-up solutions...so they can take their pick.

We do.

It's stickied at

Forums - Linux.org Articles and Tutorials - Linux Original Content - Linux Articles - Linux Other

Regrets on the convoluted path but it's where I had to place it when I first wrote it.

If you think you can make use of it, bookmark it or pin the open tab

Cheers

Wizard

You can also click the link, look kinda near the top, click on the sub-forum, and see the sticky.

Sadly, stickies don't stand out better within the thread itself.

You can also click the link, look kinda near the top, click on the sub-forum, and see the sticky.

Sadly, stickies don't stand out better within the thread itself.
I was mainly thinking about beginners as it's not easy to find. I started using Timeshift long before it was installed by default.
happy0035.gif

Back in the old days of windwoes XP...I used to Clone one HDD to another...so I'd have two identical HDDs on the same system just in case something terrible happened...which did very often with windwoes.
mad0016.gif

Of cause those days are gone and I now create an image of the Drive with Foxclone along with Timeshift.
happy0034.gif

Perhaps an “easy path” to ‘stickies’ can be established……after all, the very idea of them is that their content is super useful and in many cases absolutely critical to those who seek help at Linux.org, …..so simple access to them is imperative.

Backup is integral to the ZFS file system option on install of 20.04. With it, one does not need extraneous backup options.

Just install the so-called 'experimental' option and enjoy without worrying about backup.
All one need do is learn to retrirve the backups to restore. Redundancy is built-in.

I don't understand why more ubuntuites don't use it!

With it, one does not need extraneous backup options.

ZFS only allows you to rollback - and it's a destructive process. Files created will be lost as will any snapshots between them.

Say you have a problem on Monday and it doesn't manifest until Thursday, that's a lot of data. On top of that, when you rollback to Monday you've lost your snapshots for Tuesday and Wednesday.

So, it's nice, but I wouldn't even remotely consider it a total backup solution.

That said, I really need to write my article about backups...

ZFS DOES work for my needs as a backup because I depend more on hardware like USB devices and a very limited usage of Clonezilla when I have a setup as I want.

Good job on explanation, @KGIII, thanks!

Good job on explanation, @KGIII, thanks!

It's a pretty good setup, but make sure to have some sort of remote backup included. Something that's not n the same property, even if it's just rotating external disks between the house and an unattached garage - or even shed. Encrypting the backups before they leave your possession is also a good idea.

Remote would be good but likely hits the pocketbook with another monthly demand for money.
Am trying to limit those bills. Monthly auto insurance is now $80 for a 12-year-old subaru!

Thanks, @KGIII

Timeshift just saved me a couple of days ago when a bad kernel/firmware upgrade hosed my system.
You can use Google Drive or another online storage service that is free, just make sure to encrypt your files before uploading them. Or even just copying files to your smart phone or tablet.

Remote would be good but likely hits the pocketbook with another monthly demand for money.

For your most important data, things like family pictures and documents that would be hard to replace for example, just use a pair of external disks. Every couple of weeks, backup your data and go visit a friend or family where you can swap it out with the old external drive.

You don't need to backup a lot of stuff, like music or movies or OS files. You only need to worry about this level of backup for files you really can't easily replace. Odds are good that that's not that much space, unless you're really into photography and have a ton of RAW files to deal with. You could always just save the resulting images and not the raw data.

Even as a prolific recorder of music, it's not all that much data.

I also copy&paste music...videos...pics and documents to an external HDD as well as create a snapshot with Timeshift and an image with Foxclone because you never know what might happen.
scared0002.gif

Some time ago I had a portable HDD fail without warning
sad0015.gif
that's why I have two portable 2TB HDDs...I create an image on one and copy&paste it to the other...just to be safe.
happy0034.gif

Staff online

Members online