Backup plan

Shmu26

Reaction score
Credits
I use Timeshift but with hidden files excluded. If I include hidden files, it picks up my Thunderbird IMAP folders, which in total are over 10 GB, and this sinks the ship.
So I am looking for a backup plan for Home, with an option to exclude selected folders.

Ubuntu 20.10 with Plasma desktop. This system started its life as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with the default Gnome desktop, so I still have all the Gnome packages installed.

Copy and Paste ?

I use a program called luckyBackup. It's a lovely program, but isn't being developed anymore. I still use it. It still works. You might want to try it.

You'd be looking for:

Advanced > Exclude > (look down) User Defined > add the folder(s) you don't want synced.

Also, I recently had the chance to rebuild Thunderbird. I have emails going back to 2003. My entire .thunderbird file is about 1.2 GB in size. Rebuilding it sucked, but I saved all the passwords (across a dozen accounts) and just set them up again.

I actually discovered that I can move the Thunderbird storage location to a different disk, so that basically solves the problem. I don't know why that didn't work last time I tried. Maybe because I was on a flatpak version of TB, and now I am on the regular apt version.

Timeshift isn't a program for backing-up user data but only system files and settings, it even mentions it in the description.
Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.

Any rsync based GUI like Grsync or Flyback, or rsync itself will do what you need without needing to re-engineer your installation.

Ubuntu 20.10 with Plasma desktop
Kup can help you remember to keep up-to-date backups of your personal files. It provides:
  • Incremental backup archive with the use of "bup".
  • Synchronized folders with the use of "rsync".
  • Support for local filesystem or external usb storage.
  • Monitor availability of backup destinations, like for example a mounted network storage.
  • Integration into KDE's Plasma desktop.

Here's a nice tutorial on how to use it https://averagelinuxuser.com/kup-backup/

All great products, and choices.

I use rsync and have a text file with the four versions of the command, with applicable options, that I use with my four different USB backup drives.

Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas!

After trying out a few options I settled on Deja Dup because it offers GUI, incremental backups, and folder exclusions.

Last edited:
I installed it from Software Manager

First it asked to install python3-pydrive from an untrusted source

Then told me it needs to access 'my' google account

So.....google can lap up all my backup material?.....No Thanks.

After trying out a few options I settled on Deja Dup because it offers GUI, incremental backups, and folder exclusions.
I installed the backup utility that @Shmu26 found to be to his liking, and was his final choice from the many suggested.

I installed the backup utility that @Shmu26 found to be to his liking, and was his final choice from the many suggested.
Regarding Deja Dup: the snap version works well for me. Google is a popular online backup location, and Deja Dup offers it as an option, but that's all it is -- an option. Gnome Accounts also offers Google as an option, when you install Ubuntu.

May be a case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, but what @Shmu26 wants to accomplish can be done easily with Timeshift, as seen below.

SxO0oXa.png

So I used the Settings, then Filters, then Add Folders and tunnelled through to the Imap folder (you may need to press Ctrl-h to show the hidden files and folders when you get to Home, depending on the Distro setup).

Then your 10 Gigs IMAP is excluded from snapshots unless/until you change the settings.

As always, any questions on Timeshift can be asked of me at my Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers

Wiz

May be a case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, but what @Shmu26 wants to accomplish can be done easily with Timeshift, as seen below.

SxO0oXa.png

So I used the Settings, then Filters, then Add Folders and tunnelled through to the Imap folder (you may need to press Ctrl-h to show the hidden files and folders when you get to Home, depending on the Distro setup).

Then your 10 Gigs IMAP is excluded from snapshots unless/until you change the settings.

As always, any questions on Timeshift can be asked of me at my Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Cheers

Wiz
Does the exclusion actually work, in your experience? I saw posters saying that the option exists, but doesn't work.
I can get my horse back in the barn...

I can get my horse back in the barn...
LOL.....good one !

Yes, the Timeshift exclusion actually works.
I have some exclusions set on mine, and they work well !

So there you have it - not straight from the horse's mouth, but from the dog's mouth (dog is Belle)

Wiz

Woof.

Members online

Latest posts