Backtrack 5 not loading

Z

zenbaltin

I have been using BT5 for a few months now. Some training at Akron U. Everything was going cool. All at once I can get into basic startup, but the stalls out- a bunch of text comes up, says"cant reset HCD device. And "Maybe USB cable is bad" I cant type text, even startx. I dont have a usb cable, its going into a usb port. I have checked usb ports in device mgr. updated drivers. I am running win7 on main OS. Ibuilt this comp. and everything is state-of-the-art as far as about 6 months ago. It was working fine, I was working on security testing and penetration tools (as part of my class at AU) Everything else is OK in WIN environment. Its not a dual boot or virtual machine, I'm going into BIOS and changing boot priority.

gigabyteGA-Z68x-UD3H-B3, Intel I5 processor. I do have USB 3 ports, thought I tried them. Could try again. Thanx so much for reply, Forum now says my password is wrong or something.
Also, huge-cannot access BIOS to change boot sequence, (delete key) or F12 for start-up menu. BIOS is recognized in "programs and features" thought about changing settings there as I did system restore recently. Scary.

I have a similar board, with similar issues. I found it has something to do with 64bit drivers. once I went 32bit everything worked. might try that

I have a similar board, with similar issues. I found it has something to do with 64bit drivers. once I went 32bit everything worked. might try that
goodthought. What drivers? For the board?

Stabbing in the dark until you tell people what kernel you're running.
Code:
$ uname -a

the drivers I had issues with were usb 3 and the network card for sure. I found by trial and error that I could only use 2 of my usb 2 ports. Nothing I did could get the network card working. I'm pretty sure there were more problems with divers for that board but network and usb for sure. 32bit sees everything ok

Members online