Backtrack 5 not loading

Z

zenbaltin

I have been using BT5 for a few months now. Some training at Akron U. Everything was going cool. All at once I can get into basic startup, but the stalls out- a bunch of text comes up, says"cant reset HCD device. And "Maybe USB cable is bad" I cant type text, even startx. I dont have a usb cable, its going into a usb port. I have checked usb ports in device mgr. updated drivers. I am running win7 on main OS. Ibuilt this comp. and everything is state-of-the-art as far as about 6 months ago. It was working fine, I was working on security testing and penetration tools (as part of my class at AU) Everything else is OK in WIN environment. Its not a dual boot or virtual machine, I'm going into BIOS and changing boot priority.

gigabyteGA-Z68x-UD3H-B3, Intel I5 processor. I do have USB 3 ports, thought I tried them. Could try again. Thanx so much for reply, Forum now says my password is wrong or something.
Also, huge-cannot access BIOS to change boot sequence, (delete key) or F12 for start-up menu. BIOS is recognized in "programs and features" thought about changing settings there as I did system restore recently. Scary.

I have a similar board, with similar issues. I found it has something to do with 64bit drivers. once I went 32bit everything worked. might try that

I have a similar board, with similar issues. I found it has something to do with 64bit drivers. once I went 32bit everything worked. might try that
goodthought. What drivers? For the board?

Stabbing in the dark until you tell people what kernel you're running.
Code:
$ uname -a

the drivers I had issues with were usb 3 and the network card for sure. I found by trial and error that I could only use 2 of my usb 2 ports. Nothing I did could get the network card working. I'm pretty sure there were more problems with divers for that board but network and usb for sure. 32bit sees everything ok