Backing Up Files: uBuntu User

mpskinner

Reaction score
Credits
Hi

I try to follow the 3 - 2 - 1 method of backing up files.

Have 3 Copies
2 copies at my home location.
1 copy kept remotely.

Mostly All Edits are done on just one computer at home. But occasionally I may do remote edits that have to get into the system

What Linux back up application will help me.

I also use Puppy Linux and enjoy using the command line if I have to.

Thank You.

G'day @mpskinner and welcome to linux.org :)

I may not have the solution for you but I'll tease out of you a little more information so that others can help.

1. With the one you keep remotely, how is that accomplished currently?

2. With the occasional remote edits, is it your wish to then update all backups from the remote location?

3. With the remote location, is that a fixed location with a workstation, or else how are you communicating with the network?

4. Which version of Ubuntu are you using, with which Desktop Environment (DE), and if the remote location is fixed and has a workstation is that standardised there?

I am thinking there may be some application here for the use of

rsync

... but if that is so, I will ping our Admin, @Rob , who is proficient in that area.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I was wondering about back up going to my google drive cloud.

I use Ubuntu Studio. Version Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Thx wizardfromoz
With the one you keep remotely, how is that accomplished currently?

I take it there. Its just an off site locker. I have no way of doing edits there.

But I feel I do need to learn how to incorporate remote edits as I may be traveling in the future. But right now I don't do remote edits.

I have a 500GB hard drive. I want to plug in (USB) another 500GB drive and to have my Desktop automatically back up to the USB drive all new and changed files from many different directories to the USB drive

Also I would like any deleted files that have been deleted from my desktop drive to be deleted from the USB drive..

Thank you for you help.

.....But.......a cron job associated with Clonezilla would be good.

Brian, the cron job is doable and Clonezilla is certainly a good product, as you and I know.

But (you know Wizard's but is never far behind him), from their website

Limitations:
  • The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one.
  • Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet.
  • Online imaging/cloning is not implemented yet. The partition to be imaged or cloned has to be unmounted.
  • Due to the image format limitation, the image can not be explored or mounted. You can _NOT_ recovery single file from the image. However, you still have workaround to make it, read this.
  • Recovery Clonezilla live with multiple CDs or DVDs is not implemented yet. Now all the files have to be in one CD or DVD if you choose to create the recovery iso file.

... my highlighting.

Method used would have to be Partition to Partition or Partition to Image, and in the case of Partition to Partition, with low-level sector by sector cloning, his root partition would need to kept to something manageable such as 50GB or less, and then the Destination Partition would be filled in 10 operations.

@mpskinner until you go remote edit, a working solution might be provided with Timeshift, see my tutorial here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

You could perform a full, On Demand snapshot of your system with both User and Root covered, to begin with, and then schedule for incremental snapshots to be taken at set intervals. The incremental snapshots are hard-linked to the original full snap. Files deleted in between scheduled incrementals will be reflected, and so the latest incremental can be used as a base for restoring the entire system, should the need arise, incorporating the fact that files had been deleted.

Once you establish over an arbitrary period of time that the system is working as it should, you can then delete all snapshots from the USB drive, take a full snap, and continue on.

Not quite fully automated, but may be workable for you, you can see what you think.

Final disclaimer is that we have a number of Sysadmins within our ranks, and so people such as, but not limited to, @Rob , @JasKinasis , @mal-2 , and others might to be able to provide input here to say

"Buzz off, Wizard, this is what he needs" :D:rolleyes:

Cheers

Wizard

This is way beyond my pay grade I'm gonna go now .... haha!

Chicken ... just remember to keep a shovel handy to bail out your Aussie mate when I get in over my paygrade :)

Wiz

haha! well said Mr. wizardfromoz not being chicken just don't have the skills to answer this riddle my friend.

Latest posts