Auto Reset Linux Distro

JacobOkanta

I remember having a version of Linux years ago that would basically reset to factory after every reboot (Delete downloads,reset settings, etc). I am looking to find this again for a junk PC just to play around with. Is there a configuration or a certain distribution that would do this?

atanere

If you burn the Linux .iso to a CD/DVD, they will all behave as you describe. If you burn the .iso to a USB, they will all behave that way too, as long as you don't enable "persistence." That is, they will forget everything in between the times you boot it up.

For a "junk PC"... you should try to identify if you can whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit CPU, and whether it has a DVD drive or just a CD, and whether it can boot on a USB. A computer from the last 10 years will probably be okay on all of these issues, but if it's older... these differences may matter.

JulienCC

There's factory reset and factory reset ^^

I never had the need for such feature so I'm not really a veteran on the matter.
It's probably better to have "save points" than having a total reset, since some configurations are good to have permanently.

The easiest "custom" way to do it would be to split the drive in half, plus a small partition. You would install the system on one of the big partition, the other big one would be a dump of the first one. The small one would be a minimalist system that you would use to dump/restore the system.

This way you can set the system in a state that you like, make a full copy of it, then restore the copy when you have been too far ^^

Saving/restoring partitions with the same size is pretty easy with the dd command.

This is probably not a good way to go if you have a ssd drive since restoring a partition with a full dump would wear it out fast.

EDIT : you could also only mount the system from the small os and copy its content with a command that preserve file metadata. this way you won't need a full dump, that would use less space so you could even have multiple save points. But depending on the context it could be slower than a sequential copy.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Or there is Timeshift written about here, which would do basically all of the above.

It ships installed with Linux Mint, Linux Lite, some community-based Manjaro, and others, but can be applied to all of the 80 to 100 LInux I run at any time (difficult with openSUSE).

G'day and welcome to linux.org @JacobOkanta :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Edited added BTW

BTW I have to update the Manjaro section and video, as there are newer easier ways now :D

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts